Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Quote Originally Posted by jamiyoel View Post
    How can I compile FFMPEG in Ubuntu 9.04?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get source -b ffmpeg
    Unless, of course, you were referring to ffmpeg-mt
    Those who fail to learn from their own history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who ignore their own history, they are simply doomed…

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi jamiyoel,

The best guide for this is here:

HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Andrew
    Very nice guide, especially for a complete mencoder solution. But it's not a Kovensky build. In my 10+ compiles now it performs the best for playback and overall stability.
    -Tom
    Those who fail to learn from their own history are doomed to repeat it.
    Those who ignore their own history, they are simply doomed…

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    I've just build some deb packages for mplayer-mt. You can find them here (for hardy, intrepid and jaunty):

https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing

Some notes:

* The package and the executable have been renamed to mplayer-mt. This allows to have the normal mplayer and the multithreaded one installed at the same time. Just remember to run mplayer-mt instead of mplayer. If you use smplayer, remember also to change the executable in preferences -> general (it's also recommended to upgrade smplayer to at least svn r3072).

* It has no gui (gmplayer), no mencoder and no html documentation (only the manpage is installed).

* It doesn't install any configuration file, although the files in /etc/mplayer will be used if found.

* No patches have been used (only the manpage has been patched).

* This version has also support for mkv ordered chapters.

Users of hardy and intrepid will need some dependencies from here:
    https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/libs
    I've installed mplayer-mt from your ppa and everything is working fine but how am i supposed to check if its using more than one core? and just to clear some confusion mplayer-mt has been compiled with multithreaded ffmpeg right?

thank you for your support

Beans

Code:
    /usr/bin/mplayer-mt -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -vc coreserve, -lavdopts threads=2 -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv -ao pulse -nokeepaspect -nodr -double -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 75497487 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -*** -embeddedfonts -***-line-spacing 0 -***-font-scale 1 -***-styles /home/tru3m0sl3m/.config/smplayer/styles.*** -fontconfig -font DejaVu Sans -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 14 -subfont-text-scale 14 -subcp ISO-8859-1 -vid 0 -aid 0 -subpos 100 -volume 100 -cache 2000 -osdlevel  -vf-add screenshot -noslices -channels 6 -af scaletempo /media/disk-1/good.mkv -loop 0
    and does this means i am using dual cores?

thanks again

Beans

i just tested two 1080p videos both on totem movie player and mplayer-mt and totem had like 5ps and mplayer-mt worked fine though its using a lot of cpu.. compared to coreavc

fair enough major improvements with regards to ffmpeg

thanks again

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

OK this is driving me crazy...

I'm trying to improve my mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg performance by compiling with dual core support.

I have tried the steps in the first post and got an error on install.

I have tried the steps here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=38 and installed packages from the repo here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=39 and that all worked well.

BG info: I am trying to transcode 1080p in real time to 720p mpeg 2 video (for streaming to an xbmc machine that is not powerful enough to decode 720p h.264 in real time, and probably for streaming to a ps3 in the future, via mediatomb.)

So before I embarked on the search for multi-core support I was getting about 16fps. After: 21 fps. Shouldn't I have noticed a much larger jump in fps? I did notice a jump in CPU usage ("measured" by looking at the output of top) from around 80 to around 166 for the mencoder process, so I'm pretty sure I am getting dual core usage...

Are there some other things I can check to see what the deal is?

My system SHOULD (I hope/think) have the horsepower to do this:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    RAM: 2GB (.5 GB to on board gfx card)
    Files are being read from local HD... I'm certain it's fast enough...

If someone can point me in the right direction that'd be great....

(While typing this message I had the idea that maybe scaling from 1080p to 720p resolution is what is causing the slow down. I guess this is where I'll start my troubleshooting tomorrow...)

EDIT: I just tried without the scaling and I still hang around 18-21 fps...
    Last edited by ERamseth; September 10th, 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Beans

With my Intel E6420 overclocked to 3 GHz and able to do SuperPi 1M in 11 seconds, mencoder could encode ~1000 kbps H.264 at about 35 fps as far as I remember. Now I'm back at the default 2.13 GHz clock due to system stability issues and a similar encode goes about 25 fps. I believe the Intel C2D processors are generally faster than the AMD X2's, when was the X2 5200+ released? 1 to 2 years ago? If yes, then your results sound about right.

Beans

Hey, guys!
    Install gcc-4.4* and all of you compile with 'cflags=-ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -fopenmp' wil be multithreaded

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've successfully compiled mplayer with ffmpeg-mt following andrew's guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181). The only thing changed was this part:
    Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ wget -N http://just.mooo.com/mplayer-svn-mt.tar.bz2
    $ tar xjvf mplayer-svn-mt.tar.bz2
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    instead of this:
    Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    But I when I play Bluray files, frames are dropped while my dual core CPU is not fully used and the load is not spread evenly between the 2 cores. By default the governor is set to ondemand but even when I fix the frequency of my 2 cores at their maximum speed, the problem remains.

I've tried several options like noframedrop and cache size, but the issue is still there. Here is a screenshot to show the CPU load when playing a m2ts file:
    http://bofphile.free.fr/Images/Capture-1.jpg

I'm using a Thinkpad T500 with a 2,67GHz dual core CPU and an integrated intel 4500MHD graphic card.

Any idea what could be the problem ?
    Last edited by bofphile; November 7th, 2009 at 10:46 PM.

Beans

Issues such as this may be due to problems with the CFS scheduler--perhaps trying a Liquorix kernel with the BFS scheduler might help...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast