Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settings

Beans

Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settings

I recently posted this issue in the Hardware & Laptops forum, but didn't get any responses. I figured that this forum may be a more appropriate place to discuss this as it's likely more a video driver/settings problem than anything else.

I have been running Ubuntu 8.10 with the nvidia 177 drivers on this laptop for about a month now without any problem until recently.

I decided to try the nvidia-180.22 drivers to fix some graphical glitches that I was getting with AWN and compizfusion, however, somewhere in the process, I managed to royally screw up my video hardware settings.

After having problems getting the 180 drivers to work I tried reverting to the 177 drivers, but they would not work any more.

I have tried several methods to get up and running again:
    1. Tried using synaptic to remove all nvidia driver files and reinstall them
    2. Tried enabling the drivers from the hardware drivers menu (it displays 173, 177, and 180 as options to enable)
    3. Tried fixing it with sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (found through googling)
    4. Lastly, I've tried installing/uninstalling through Envyng

Regardless of what I do, I'm getting this on boot up every time:

Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode
    Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure them yourself.
    I also tried running the .run script for the 173 drivers from Nvidia's website but recieved an error. Upon reviewing the log file I found this:

echo; \
    echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
    echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
    echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it
    ."; \
    echo;
    I ran make oldconfig and make prepare in the kernel src folder and they went through the process, but didn't seem to do anything. I still receive the same error.

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on and what I can do to fix it?

Beans

Re: Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settin

I'm still struggling with this problem, and have been for several days now without any progress. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settin

I am also experiencing a very similar, if not the same, problem. I have all the symptoms listed above.

As another note: lspci recognizes the card just fine (can post if needed).

Thank you.

Beans

I finally fixed this.

I was looking around for loose or misplaced nvidia files, and discovered that in /lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/video/nvidia/ (I think that's the path, will update if it's wrong) there was a file called nvidiafb.ko that was still in there. I went into synaptic and completely uninstalled all driver files, then deleted the nvidiafb.ko file. Next I decided to go out on a limb and try installing the 180.22 drivers (the ones that gave me the trouble in the first place), restarted, lo and behold they worked!

So what I would suggest if you're having problems is to uninstall all driver files (nvidia-glx and the source files) and check your kernel folder for stray .ko files.

There are, however, still some minor problems with 180.22 that I've read several other people are having. For instance, if I enable desktop visual effects, the screen is completely black when logging in. However, I've found that by hitting ctrl-alt-f1 to go to the console, and then hitting ctrl-alt-f7 to go back to the UI, it works fine. From what I've read it seems to be an issue with the drivers trying to default to a vga output...but that's an issue for another thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for posting your fix! I am away from home, but will try it when I get back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I have had the same problem. But it was fairly easy to come back to normal mode by installing the 177.xx drivers. Anyway I also need to get working with the 180.xx drivers since it is providing some bandwidth increases in CUDA. But strangely its not working and comes up as low-graphics with my screen shift horizontally. Although this isnt even a beta driver.

I just want to know what files you removed in Synaptic. ALL the files with 'nvidia' in it? and also I couldnt find any /video folder is /lib/modules.
    I have 2.6 27-11-generic and there is no such folder.

Any ideas?
    Cheers.
    Last edited by madu; February 9th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settin

hey guys. I see that its almost everyone having this same issue! y hasnt
    anyone looked into this yet! my friend is currently running linux 8.04 Hardy
    and i tried to install all the different restricted drivers from the repository, but with no luck the graphics card just seems to not work on linux 8.04. This is really troublesome because he wants to use compiz just to see what its like. The computer is an Acer Aspire 5520, Nvidia Graphics card = nVidia GEForce 7000M rev a2... If any one can help finding either drivers that support this with compiz effects or some other way to fix this so compiz will work properly! thank you again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs up Re: Nvidia Driver problems - Cannot detect screen, graphics card, input device settin

HAHA! i did it! theres a really simple way to get Nvidia 7000M graphics card to work! so simple i cant believe i overlooked it! Just upgrade to 8.10
    (intrepid ibex) its supported automatically! duh! and if your running LTS 8.04 or an older LTS that doesnt show the support for upgrading to 8.10 then go to system>administration>softwaresources
    go to updates>release upgrade> and change it to normal release. then go to update manager and update itll take aprox 1hr maybe less! and thatll fix the problem with the Nvidia 7000M cards graphics so you can use compiz!=D>

Beans

Did anyone ever get this working in 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had a similar problem after installing the nvidia linux x86 driver (version 195.36.08). Ubuntu would start in low-graphics mode.

To fix this I ended up doing several things:
    1. uninstall nvidia-glx from synaptic package manager
    2. delete all nvidia *.o, *.ko, and *.so files from my computer
    3. reinstall the nvidia drivers I downloaded from the nvidia website
    4. edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make it look like it did before installing the new driver

In order to delete the module files, I ran the following commands in a terminal. I recommend not using the -exec argument at first so you can make sure you're not deleting something you don't want to delete.

Code:
    sudo find / -name '*nvidia*.ko' -exec rm {} \;
    sudo find / -name '*nvidia*.o' -exec rm {} \;
    sudo find / -name '*nvidia*.so' -type f -exec rm {} \;
    After following these steps and rebooting, the driver worked fine.

I don't know if all the steps I took were necessary to solving the problem, I just know that what I did worked for me.
    Last edited by rizzlesauce; March 7th, 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast