Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

ill give this a try see what happens i got a recovery dvd so no biggy if it fails ill just load up the recovery dvd
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit Gnome 3.10 ~ AMD FX-6200 3.8GHZ ~ 32GB DDR3 1866 ~ AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB ~ 1 120gb SSD (Linux) & 1 4tb HD (Media)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How-To Install Express Gate / Splashtop on Asus Motherboards from Ubuntu / Linux

buzz91: I too would like this feature on my Asus G71v Gaming Laptop.

The AMI Bios has no entries for modifying the button behaviour. From reading this post, does the button 'press' initiate a look for a splash.idx file, if it finds one it starts the loader?

Further info: http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer...plashtop_4_lrg
    referenced from: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=870&num=1
    Last edited by essexboyracer; April 25th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Reading through this whole thread so far, this is what I was able to glean, which I did and worked at the first attempt:

1. Create an NTFS or FAT32 partition of at least 1.5GB and give it a boot flag. The easiest way to do this is by booting into Ubuntu Live CD then using a partition manager such as GParted which you may need to install first. Be very careful not to make a mess of your existing partitions.

2. Reboot into your Ubuntu installation and obtain the ExpressGate installer from Asus website which will usually have the latest update.

3. Run the installer with Wine. It will create a file named 'splash.idx' and two folders named 'ASUS.000' and 'ASUS.SYS' in the pseudo C:\ drive of your Wine installation.

4. Mount the NTFS or FAT32 partition that you created earlier if you need to (usually you don't - it should appear in your file manager by default). Copy (or, preferably, move) the file 'splash.idx' and the two folders 'ASUS.000' and 'ASUS.SYS' from the Wine C:\ drive to your newly created partition.

5. Finally, edit the 'root=UUID=...' line in 'splash.idx' to point to the UUID of the partition you created. You can list the UUIDs of your partitions using the command 'ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/'

6. If you are a control freak like me, remove all trace of ExpressGate from Wine (uninstall or delete the menu shortcuts) as you don't need any of that now.

7. Shutdown your computer and press the ExpressGate button to launch ExpressGate.

Mine worked perfectly with these steps; it connected to the wired and wireless networks, allowed me to use a USB device and configure various settings.
    Last edited by charlesopondo; June 24th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

See my reply #23; I succeeded in getting this done after blowing away the original partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi, probably not exactly on topic, but is anyone aware if it is possible to replace ExpressGate with another OS? I don't use it for its borked resolution and, well, general ugliness, but it would be nice to put the EG-button (Eeepc 1001p) to good use, i.e. start a full grown linux distribution with it.

Any ideas on that?

Thanks.
    [..] What I realized is that Linux is not a code base. Or a distro. Or a kernel. It's an attitude. And it's not about Open Source. It's about a bunch of people who still think vi is a good config UI. - matt's reply on esr's cups/ui rant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worked perfect on Asus M4A78T-E. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you, I wouldn't have done this without help.

I couldn't work out where the splash.idx came from in the original instruction so I have included my step here in case it helps anyone else.
    Started off with Asus N10 with Ubuntu Netbook remix 10.04 on a 160GB HDD.
    Lost the XP and express gate partitions when I loaded Ubuntu from the live USB.
    Had the Asus recovery DVD and instructions from forum.

Started out by using live USB from old ubuntu remix to use Gparted on drive and create 1.5GB NTFS partition. This was flagged as bootable.
    When I looked it up , I found that only one partition can have a boot flag, and giving the NTFS partion the flag didn't affect the ubuntu boot.
    I then mounted the NTFS drive; went to Ubuntu software centre and installed wine.

Then in a desktop computer with a DVD drive I took the Asus N10 disk and extracted express gate files from the software folder.
    These were zipped so I right clicked and extracted them to my 4GB USB disk.
    Then I moved these files from the USB to my c drive on wine. I then right clicked on the .exe file and opened with wine windows program loader.
    This started the express gate installer - which ran until I got to a screen which said select drive - but wouldn't let me select any drives.
    This stumped me for a while until I saw the next button was selectable, so I ignored the drive question and clicked next and the installer
    completed. This created the splash.idx, ASUS.SYS and ASUS.OOO files.

I transferred those files to my NTFS drive and amended splash.idx as described. I cut and pasted from ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ to make sure I
    didn't get the number wrong.Then I shut down and restarted by pressing the express gate key on the N10 and it all worked just as it did before I stuffed it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Nice descriptions, I particularly liked and followed charlesopondo's description and am stuck at 3rd point. The installer won't run, it only shows me a message "No EF Partition! Installation is aborted!" and that's all.
    Tried on both, stable and unstable Wine (1.2.1 and 1.3.7).
    The only difference is that I didn't download the ExpressGate from asus.com, but got it on a DVD with my netbook (it seems to be a newer version anyway, 2.2.52 on DVD vs 2.2.44.163 on asus.com). Even if I'd try to download the file, the transfers on that site are horrendously low, like <10KiB/s, that would take me more than a day to download.

So, anyone cares to tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what should I do to bypass this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same issue here as Roman0's.
    Tried NTFS and FAT32, with and without boot flag, mounted and unmounted, with and without 0xEF flag.
    Last edited by 0x656b694d; November 19th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For Roman0 and 0x656b694d;
    Charlespondos instructions do not include step 6 in Sqrt7744's original post.
    Don't know if it would make any difference, and don't think I did it but I know I got confused with the NTFS partition and the pseudo C drive and created an extra volume that I ended up deleting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast