Thread: Properly setup ubuntu server with FTP, SSH, WebMin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Properly setup ubuntu server with FTP, SSH, WebMin

Hey everyone,

So I have a small shuttle PC computer that I repurposed to be my server. This server I intend to be mainly my backup server for both my desktop and laptop. I also may want to do some sort of media streaming to these computers and my hacked Xbox running XBMC.

Now I have basic functionality running, but I feel that this is not enough. For example, the server has two physical drives, a 20 gig and 750 gig. The 20 gig one is what it came with and the swamp and / partitions are setup on this partition. I want to setup all users onto the 750 gig hard drive, but I do not know how. Currently, the /home/user/ is setup on the 20 gig, and there is a folder in there called big_HD linking to the 750 gig.

I also want to setup a FTP server using port 22 for SFTP, I'm currently using ProFTPD. Does anyone know how to do it with ProFTPD or is there a better FTP server out there? Keep in mind that I would like for it to have a WebMin Module so it is easier for me to configure.

Also any sites with this information clearly laid out would greatly be appreciated.
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Properly setup ubuntu server with FTP, SSH, WebMin

why not just use sftp/scp by instlling openssh-server and mysecureshell to chroot system accounts?

Beans

Hi, this sounds alot like what I'm trying to do..Hyper_ch could you elaborate a little more , maybe sources and documentation ..I would greatly appreciate it ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as I know, Pure-FTPd is able to work with SFTP fine. I am using it on a cPanel-powered server but yet not sure how to install it on Ubuntu Server.

I had my Ubuntu Server up today, this is my first forum post here...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

for scp you just need to install openssh-server and then add system users. Then also install mysecureshell and change the shell of the system users to mysecureshella nd properly configure it.

you can then use: http://www.winscp.com or other tools that support scp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So currently the server that I do have up, does have SSH and it does have a FTP server running. While I'm typing this up, my laptop is transferring pictures that I took to the server for backup. I would like something that is easy to manage, preferably with a Webmin module. How do you make ProFTPD running in SFTP mode on port 22?
    HOWTO: Lightscribe work from Menu (SCRIPT)
    Howto: Make Conky display information on different parts of screen
    Specs:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 @ 3.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT | 2 GBs Ram | 640 GB - HDD
    All watercooled and overclocked!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

say that again? are you asking how do you make proftd only work on port 22? You edit the .conf file in the /etc directory and change the ports that the ftpd listen on ..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

you can only run one daemon on a given port... so I'd deinstall proftp and just use openssh server and create a new shell with mysecureshell to chroot people accordingly.