Thread: Corpus linguistics in Linux

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Corpus linguistics in Linux

Hi there, does anybody, by any chance, know an open-source tool to analyze texts under corpus-linguistics with support for arabic? (actually I'm an ecologist but a friend of mine who is a windows user is having problems with that).

Thanks on advance.

Beans

Re: Corpus linguistics in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by educamero View Post
    (actually I'm an ecologist but a friend of mine who is a windows user is having problems with that)
    Damn those ecologist-hating Windows users!

I can't claim any corpus linguistics expertise, but you might find the links on this page useful. It lists various software by free/non-free as well as by OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hubie View Post
    Damn those ecologist-hating Windows users!

I can't claim any corpus linguistics expertise, but you might find the links on this page useful. It lists various software by free/non-free as well as by OS.

Beans

As a new arrival to Ubuntu, and as a corpus linguist, I need to be able to install corpus/concordancing software, such as WordsmithTools - which doesn't seem to have a Linux-friendly version. (See: http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/)

However, AntConc (http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/software.html) does have a Linux option, but the instructions baffle me - see
    http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/s...c_on_Linux.pdf

Do I have to do all this if I have Ubuntu? Or what else could I install to make the installation of AntConc easier?
    Or, does anyone know of any other corpus software that is easily installable on Ubuntu?
    I don't suspect there are many corpus linguists out there - but on the off-chance....

Scott T

Beans

The AntConc program does not appear to be in the repositories, so the Ubuntu/Debian way of installing won't work. However, the install directions you linked to are pretty standard unix-like steps. The one advantage here for you is that the program that you download is the compiled binary, so you don't need to go through the usual compile and install routine. All you need to run the program is to know where you downloaded it and to run the command that runs it.

I've written a little install script you can try. Put the script in the same directory you downloaded the antconc file. When the script is run, it will change the file permissions and copy it to a new directory named antconc off of your home directory. It will also automatically run it for you the first time. To run the script, if you use a command line you just type ./antconc_install.sh

You can also run the script by double-clicking on it from the file browser and choose the "Run in terminal" option.

After running the install script, any other time you want to run the AntConc program, you can either type "antconc" from a command line, or you can double-click the antconc icon from the folder. If it is a program that you would run a lot, it is very easy to add an icon on the top of your screen that you would just need to click to run it. I would be happy to let you know the several steps you'd need to do to do that. I'm mostly a command-line guy and I was going to script those steps to add a quick launcher to your desktop, but I'm not that savvy.

If my script doesn't run for you, it is still easy to run the antconc program. All my script does is move the program to its own folder and change the permissions. You can do the same manually. After you download the code and put it in its own directory, use your file browser and right-click the icon for the program, select Properties, and make sure the Access choices are "Read and Write", and that the "Allow executing file as program" is checked. Then you can just double-click it to run.

As for WordSmith, I did a little Googling around and I've seen some posts that say that it will run under Wine, which is a program you use to run Windows-based programs on Linux. Another alternative I came across is Corsis, which advertises itself as a WordSmith alternative. If you need help running either of those I would be glad to try and help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hubie; February 5th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Corrected confusing misplaced modiers in a sentence

Beans

Thanks Hubie, that's incredibly helpful. Let me play around a bit, and if I have any problems I'll post them here. I'm really very impressed with this suppport facility.

Beans

OK, I managed to now open the program manually as you advised, but I'm curious about the following operations which I figure I should be able to do, but don't know how!
    1. "put the script in the same directory...." how do i found the directory? is this the same as a folder? If not, how do I "put something into a directory"? (I created a folder called Antconc and put the little install command you wrote into the same folder, but suspect this is not what I was meant to do)
    2. "when the script is run" - how do you "run a script"? (I tried double-clicking but couldn't find any option called "Run in terminal"
    3. "type XYZ from a command line" - hmm, what's that? I did find an Open With dialogue window which had the option to "use a custom command", but when I typed in ./antconc_install.sh I got the message "could not find application" - presumably because it was not in the appropriate directory?

The program is running (for which I'm eternally grateful) - so you don't need to answer these questions but maybe point me in the right direction.

As for the Corsis program, I downloaded it, but don't know where to find it to open it. In Windows I'm used to being asked where i want to save a downloadable application, and then I click on the -exe file there. I'm obviously unaware of some basic downloading and filing procedure in Ubuntu (I also was unable to get Filezilla working, maybe for the same reason).
    Please indulge the ignorance of a newbie!
    Scott

Here's the latest on installing Corsis (aka Tenka). I read further down the installation page and found out I have to something called Mono 2.0 installed; I found this in the Synaptic list and activated it. Fine. Then tried to download Tenka again. As before, it appears in the Archive Manager window. This is where I'm not sure what to do. I sent it to my desktop, and there I "extracted" its folders. They are now sitting on the desktop too. But I'm still no nearer knowing how to run this software. Where did I go wrong?
    Last edited by Scott T; February 8th, 2009 at 10:35 AM.