Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corpus linguistics in Linux

Beans

Re: Corpus linguistics in Linux

Thanks so much, Hubie, for your tips. I really appreciate the time you're putting in.

I've got AntConc up and running (by using the manua method you suggested, i.e. "make sure the Access choices are "Read and Write", and that the "Allow executing file as program" is checked), but haven't been so lucky with Corsis. This is what I posted into a previous message, but you might have missed:

"Here's the latest on installing Corsis (aka Tenka). I read further down the installation page and found out I have to something called Mono 2.0 installed; I found this in the Synaptic list and activated it. Fine. Then tried to download Tenka again. As before, it appears in the Archive Manager window. This is where I'm not sure what to do. I sent it to my desktop, and there I "extracted" its folders. They are now sitting on the desktop too. But I'm still no nearer knowing how to run this software. Where did I go wrong?"

Scott

Beans

I've looked into Corsis on Ubuntu and so far it is not very promising, at least on my machine. The issue seems to be that the Corsis (nee Tenka Text) that you download from Sourceforge requires Mono version 2.2, while the default version installed on Ubuntu 8.10 is 1.9.something. When I try to run it on my machine, it blows up with a bunch of errors.

I've perused this site as well as Googling around and I get the impression that there are all kind of issues with version 2.2, which is why the people who make the packages for Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) have not made a package. Normally when you run into this issue, it is pretty easy to just go and grab the source code yourself and compile it on your machine. Unfortunately Mono is a very large group of software and it isn't quite that easy (which is why the Debian guys don't just compile it up and package it).

I don't use Mono so I can't really speculate what the issue is on my machine. I am running a 64-bit kernel, which sometimes adds some subtle problems with this kind of thing, so you might have better/different experience trying to run it.

If you want to try, it is pretty easy to do. You should have Mono installed by default, and you said you have Tenka Text on your desktop. As per the instructions on the Sourceforge site, you just need to open a terminal, change to the directory that has the program, and run the command to run the program. To do this:
    On your desktop to go Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
    This will put you on a command line in your home folder. You change to your Desktop folder/directory by
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    You can then change to your Tenka Text directory by
    Code:
    cd TENKA-TEXT-0.1.3.4
    or you can do the above two in one step with the command
    Code:
    cd Desktop/TENKA-TEXT-0.1.3.4
    From here all you are supposed to need to do is type
    Code:
    mono Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe
    and it should run. This is where I get a whole slew of errors and it doesn't run.

If it does run, let me know and I can show you how to make this a click-an-icon type of thing to get it to run so you don't have to go through the above steps every time you want to run it. This is also true with the Antconc program, by the way.

If this doesn't work for you, there are a few other potential options, but they are much more involved (such as running a virtual machine that boots up a version of linux or Windows that does have Mono 2.2 support). Otherwise, you might have to wait for a Debian/Ubuntu Mono 2.2 package to be put together.

(By the way, this goes to something you posted earlier regarding where things download, but by default Firefox downloads things to your desktop. This is convenient, but can really clutter things up after a while. You can have Firefox ask you where to download things by going to Edit->Preferences->Main and checking the box "Always ask me where to save files" I usually make myself a downloads folder in my home directory and I end up putting all my downloads there.)

Beans

THANKS once again, Hubie. I tried your advice but I too got the "whole slew" of errors (nice word, slew). Essentially the message was that there was a "segmentation fault". I think I might forget Corsis/Tenka, and go back to trying WordSmith within Wine. Apropos, is it Wine 1.0.1 that I should install?
    Thanks, Scott

Beans

I'm the developer of the (now very much inactive) project Corsis and could provide you a self-contained version of mono 2.2 or even mono 2.4 for your Ubuntu machine. Please inform me whether you are using 32 or 64-bit Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cetinsert View Post
    I'm the developer of the (now very much inactive) project Corsis and could provide you a self-contained version of mono 2.2 or even mono 2.4 for your Ubuntu machine. Please inform me whether you are using 32 or 64-bit Ubuntu.

Since i have the same problem could you please send me the same mono?? Ubuntu version is now 2.0.14 that is evidently not the good one to run Corsis (or Tenka) I use a 32bit Ubuntu

Thank You

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerkar View Post
    Since i have the same problem could you please send me the same mono?? Ubuntu version is now 2.0.14 that is evidently not the good one to run Corsis (or Tenka) I use a 32bit Ubuntu

Thank You
    Sorry for my late reply. Please take either step 1 or 2 and then step 3. I suggest trying the package I built for you.

-------------------------
    1) WANT TO BUILD MYSELF

Here is how you can download and make and install Mono 2.4 - in case any step fails install the missing dependencies (like bison) and retry the failed command:

(Any minor mistakes (typos etc.) in the build instructions are to be forgiven.)

Code:
    mkdir ~/mono24build
    cd ~/mono24build
    wget http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/libgdiplus/libgdiplus-2.4.tar.bz2
    wget http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/mono/mono-2.4.tar.bz2
    tar xvf libgdiplus-2.4.tar.bz2
    tar xvf mono-2.4.tar.bz2

cd libgdi-plus-2.4.tar.bz2
    ./configure --prefix=/opt/mono
    make
    make install

cd ~/mono24build
    cd mono-2.4
    sudo apt-get install bison
    make
    make install
    2) WANT TO TRY YOUR BUILD

Or you can download something I built on a 32-bit machine running Ubuntu 8.10:

(The package is 46 MB large and downloads from kirchhof.ath.cx are pretty slow (66 KB/s max.). Please bear with this. Might take 15 mins or more to finish.)

Code:
    cd /opt
    sudo wget http://kirchhof.ath.cx/stuff/mono-2.4_ubuntu_x86.tar.gz
    sudo tar xvf mono-2.4_ubuntu_x86.tar.gz
    3) NOW TRY TO RUN CORSIS

Follow Hubbie's instructions on the second page of this thread changing only the last line to read:

-----------------------

Code:
    /opt/mono/bin/mono Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe

Let me know if this helped you.

Regards,
    Cetin Sert

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Could a programming toy by a physicist be useful for linguists?
    This is a link to my little toy, which perhaps could be useful even for some serious work. It is a toy called Concordle,
    http://folk.uib.no/nfylk/concordle/ (also: http://concordle.blogspot.com/ - http://www.wordle.net/)
    which I wrote during some free time in October 2008, as a reaction to my meeting with the rather famous Wordle . Concordle is a very simple concordancer, written by a complete amateur in both concordancers and JavaScript (myself, a physicist, old-time FORTRAN programmer).

The absolute advantage of Concordle is that it is completely inside the browser (it even runs on Nokia N-800 internet tablet), and you can do anything with the program, it is read into your browser. It is all very simple, no libraries, no installations.

One of my points was to demonstrate (mainly to myself) how one could do sort of serious work using the pure JavaScript (you might know that JavaScript is an important part of AJAX, the basis of the new web. In my toy I just use the pure JavaScript, no A or AX added)

Since that time I have not done anything with it. In principle one needs only quite limited knowledge of programming to improve - or simply change the functionality of the code.

As mentioned, this is mainly a toy, but I used it to compare some real world texts - looking for how the author(s) - or myself - use some words. I would be interested in reactions of real linguists - the thing can be modified in some moments (or hours).

If you will try the toy, simply remember that everything is clicable and nothing is left when you leave the browser. You must yourself find the ways how to save the "results" (this because I did not want to go beyond the simplest JavaScript). In most cases "copy and paste" should do that. And use of "seamonkey" ( http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ ) which contains embeded HTML-editor.

Perhaps some of you linguists would be interested in some collaboration on making the concordle toy more serious.

The link http://folk.uib.no/nfylk/concordle_dev/ shows the history of the developement - and several versions.

Beans

Hi,

I've tried all this, but still run into problems. My system is a 32, Ubuntu 10.04.
    Can you please help?

Thanks!

(here's the problem...)

Code:
    ** (Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe:6623): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/elitzur/mono24build/TENKA-TEXT-0.1.3.4/Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe could not be loaded:
         Assembly:   System.Windows.Forms    (assemblyref_index=2)
         Version:    2.0.0.0
         Public Key: b77a5c561934e089
    The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/elitzur/mono24build/TENKA-TEXT-0.1.3.4/).

** (Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe:6623): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

** (Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe:6623): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.

** (Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe:6623): WARNING **: Missing method EnableVisualStyles in assembly /home/elitzur/mono24build/TENKA-TEXT-0.1.3.4/Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.Application

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies.
    File name: 'System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
    Quote Originally Posted by cetinsert View Post
    Sorry for my late reply. Please take either step 1 or 2 and then step 3. I suggest trying the package I built for you.

1) WANT TO BUILD MYSELF

Here is how you can download and make and install Mono 2.4 - in case any step fails install the missing dependencies (like bison) and retry the failed command:

(Any minor mistakes (typos etc.) in the build instructions are to be forgiven.)

Code:
    mkdir ~/mono24build
    cd ~/mono24build
    wget http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/libgdiplus/libgdiplus-2.4.tar.bz2
    wget http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/sources/mono/mono-2.4.tar.bz2
    tar xvf libgdiplus-2.4.tar.bz2
    tar xvf mono-2.4.tar.bz2

cd libgdi-plus-2.4.tar.bz2
    make
    make install

cd ~/mono24build
    cd mono-2.4
    sudo apt-get install bison
    make
    make install
    2) WANT TO TRY YOUR BUILD

Or you can download something I built on a 32-bit machine running Ubuntu 8.10:

(The package is 46 MB large and downloads from kirchhof.ath.cx are pretty slow (66 KB/s max.). Please bear with this. Might take 15 mins or more to finish.)

Code:
    cd /opt
    sudo wget http://kirchhof.ath.cx/stuff/mono-2.4_ubuntu_x86.tar.gz
    sudo tar xvf mono-2.4_ubuntu_x86.tar.gz
    3) NOW TRY TO RUN CORSIS

Follow Hubbie's instructions on the second page of this thread changing only the last line to read:

-----------------------

Code:
    /opt/mono/bin/mono Tenka.Text.WindowsInterface.exe
    Let me know if this helped you.

Regards,
    Cetin Sert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello,
    This thread is a bit old, but I hope the question might interest some people. Wordsmith Tools is a popular piece of linguistics software, running under Windows. A functional demo version is available for download here: http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/version5/index.html It's supposed to run correctly under Linux (see earlier post here), but, although it installs fine, when I run it, using wine or crossover, I cannot choose my texts, which appear crossed out, cf. screenshot below.

I've tried installing Wordsmith 5 and 4 with wine or crossover, running it as sudo (though I think this might ultimately be the source of the problem), or changing character encoding of text files, with no success. Any help would be much appreciated!

P.S. Have had no luck with Corsis either: the link above is no longer functional.

Beans

Hey guys! I've been using AntConc for quite some time now and it runs great and I absolutely love it. But unfortunately every time I start up the program I have to set up my preferences (like fontsize, font style, colors, etc), they are not being saved. Any ideas on what I could do or what keywords should I use to look up a solution?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast