Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: Your impressions of Windows 7

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ma.
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by CP1256 View Post

    I still think it uses to much disk space though.
    I agree, it does compared to XP and Linux.
    One good thing is I heard that you can run it from a pen drive I don't know if this is true, but a live CD version would be great.

  2. #12

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    I didnt want it touching my new laptop seeing as its a Beta, so after looking around on the web, i found a guide to install it on my old laptop over a network which went flawlessly. I need to mention that this laptop is almost 4 years old with barely 512MB RAM.

    After one install i booted into 7, leaving me in shock. The only problem i've had so far is the drivers for my video card and my sound card. So i'm stuck with 1024x768 on a widescreen and no sound at all. I've tried windows update and using the drivers that came with the laptop but the sound ones keep failing to install and the display is garbled after i apply my new settings, then it reverts back to the standard drivers after i reboot.

    Other than that, i actually think its a good OS. Its suprisingly quick on this machine. I like it alot. Maybe M$ will get it right this time around?
    Personal blog: http://gigiaut.tumblr.com/
    Gigitsu blog: http://gigitsu.tumblr.com/

    Gigitsu ~ The gentle artist

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    886
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyBooBoo View Post
    I didnt want it touching my new laptop seeing as its a Beta, so after looking around on the web, i found a guide to install it on my old laptop over a network which went flawlessly. I need to mention that this laptop is almost 4 years old with barely 512MB RAM.

    After one install i booted into 7, leaving me in shock. The only problem i've had so far is the drivers for my video card and my sound card. So i'm stuck with 1024x768 on a widescreen and no sound at all. I've tried windows update and using the drivers that came with the laptop but the sound ones keep failing to install and the display is garbled after i apply my new settings, then it reverts back to the standard drivers after i reboot.

    Other than that, i actually think its a good OS. Its suprisingly quick on this machine. I like it alot. Maybe M$ will get it right this time around?
    If you still have it installed try downloading the Vista version of the drivers, if there are any. Vista drivers *should* work on the Windows 7 Beta.

    Thanks,
    Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Las Vegas, Nevada
    Beans
    743
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    I used to hate using the sidebar gadgets in Vista specifically because of the sidebar itself. However, Microsoft removed the sidebar in Windows 7, so now they can float around on the desktop.

    I am currently using three gadgets: World Clock, MSN Weather, and Pandora. They're arranged on the very side of the screen, where the sidebar would have been, but they look so much nicer without the sidebar.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In here watching you!
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    I have Windows 7 running in Virtualbox. It is performing very well. The VM only has 16GB of disk space allocated; however, Windows 7 is only using about 8GB after installing AVG anti-virus and IBM Lotus Symphony. I also have only 512MB of memory allocated to the VM.

    Windows 7 definatly kicks Vista's butt.

    One thing I noted was that there was no "Microsoft Works". I decided to use IBM Lotus Symphony as an Office Suite, just for fun. There is definately a lack of application software bundled with Windows 7. I was able to find FOSS applications to full in the missing bits.

    Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista when it comes to performance and resource usage; however, I am curious what Microsoft is up to by not bundling common applications with the product.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

    No support requests by PM please.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    156

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    You have to download the windows live package to get some of the apps that used to live in windows. This not only saves space, but makes sense because not everyone is going to require all these different apps. I wish they would adjust what apps are included and which ones aren't, and it would be nice to see a few new programs from MS but whatever. Overall I like what I see.

    The biggest thing for me is the smaller things, like burning an iso image from within windows without having to download anything. Wordpad is a perfect word replacement now, so if you need to write a letter or a paper but don't want a full blown office suite you can do that now.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel
    Beans
    104

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    DLed one build, I think something around 8000, tried to install it in Virtual Box. It crashed the box, haven't tried new versions ever since.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Beans
    262
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    My first impressions were rather good. Like others have said, though, it uses too much disk space. 8GB is just too much for an OS. I'd like to see around half that, but I don't see Microsoft being able to shave off half its installation size before the final release.
    My main system: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.1Ghz, Nvidia 8800GT, 4GB RAM, Debian Lenny/Windows 7 dual-boot. My laptop (Compaq C700): Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, Intel X3100, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Lucid.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Las Vegas, Nevada
    Beans
    743
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by kspncr View Post
    My first impressions were rather good. Like others have said, though, it uses too much disk space. 8GB is just too much for an OS. I'd like to see around half that, but I don't see Microsoft being able to shave off half its installation size before the final release.
    Funny, because Ubuntu's recommended minimum system requirements also mention 8 GB of disk space for installation.

    And 8 GB for Windows 7 is an improvement from Windows Vista, which required upwards of 15 GB of disk space for installation.

    The RAM requirements of Ubuntu and Windows 7 are the more important requirement to look at rather than the required disk space.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    81

    Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Funny, because Ubuntu's recommended minimum system requirements also mention 8 GB of disk space for installation.

    And 8 GB for Windows 7 is an improvement from Windows Vista, which required upwards of 15 GB of disk space for installation.

    The RAM requirements of Ubuntu and Windows 7 are the more important requirement to look at rather than the required disk space.
    This is a good argument, but what the linux people here are going to say is there "version" requires much less because they took things off. I'm sick of this argument because an average user like myself has no idea what I can take off, so I'm stuck at the 8gb used. Not that I find it all that much, but still...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •