Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your impressions of Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Your impressions of Windows 7

What are your impressions of the 7 Beta and have you tried it?

Beans

Re: Your impressions of Windows 7

Yes, I did install it. It did make a bluescreen at the first reboot while installing. Therefore it wont run at all.

I'm not impressed at all. Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10 and the latest Alpha of Ubuntu 9.04 work flawless on this machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am running it on my new computer for about 17 days now(everyday) with Ubuntu in wubi and both Fedora10 and gOS 3.1 running in a virtualbox. I upgraded Vista Home Premium 64 to 7 Ultimate 64.
    Every thing from games to VM and all my apps with the exception of warsaw and paint.com have worked no bugs,no crashes,and no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gs.linxusr08 View Post
    What are your impressions of the 7 Beta and have you tried it?
    I installed it on my laptop two weeks ago. This is my primary machine, goes with me everywhere. I do computer consulting, web development, programming, school work, etc... all on this laptop so it is used constantly all day.

I have had exactly one error - a BSOD - when it resumed from hibernation once. It hasn't happened since.

All the programs I need work flawlessly: Office 2007, Photoshop CS2, Dreamweaver 8, FlashFXP, EasyWorship, SPSS14, Pidgin, VirtualBox, NMAP, etc....

I have not rebooted this machine in about a week. I just suspend and hibernate the system when moving.

Dell Latitude D630: 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD, 2GHz CPU. Windows 7 32bit.

All hardware was recognized and installed. The only driver issue is that there is no driver for my HP LaserJet 6l... trying to download and manually install the driver but it is built in on XP and Vista so HP doesn't have it for download!

So far I really enjoy using this version of Windows. It is fast and stable. I've never experienced a slow down or any other odd "Windows" issue.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans

I use Windows 7, 64-bit on my Satellite Pro X200.

GREAT PERFORMANCE, and currently dual booting with 8.10
    Proudly ubuntu since '05
    CPU: i5-4210U 1.7Ghz | RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3L SODIMM | GFX: nVidia GeForce 635M
    Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

installed it, ran great until i started Internet explorer 8 :\ then the explorer started crashing and freezing every 5 minutes or so (every 2-3 pages i opened). Apart from that and it having a larger memory footprint then vista and me not having directx 11 videocard thus not being able to fully use dx11 it was good.

Mind u it has compatibility and driver problems. Games ran choppy on max graphics whereas on xp they ran gr8.I use a 9800 GT 256 bit. Its still not free and buggy/slowish plus to trun my games and programs most of them i have to run in comparability mode.

Which is why i dumped vista nd 7 and use Ubuntu AMD64 now.
    Last edited by Rim; January 24th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.

Beans

I tried it, it seems fine. The new taskbar is pretty. It's faster than Vista and appears to be a bit more sensible. No errors per se, setting up my graphics and LAN drivers was complete pain in the **** just like it was with Vista. Other than that, no comment at all. It was exciting for about 5 minutes of tinkering then I went back to Ubuntu.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans

We need to remember that IE8 is beta. I'm having problems with it too. I just don't use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

With the aero theme it looks pretty good and it feels faster then Vista. It's still not fast enough as Ubuntu in my opinion, but it's getting better.

I still think it uses to much disk space though.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's very good.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast