Thread: HD Diagnostics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HD Diagnostics

I have a gazelle ultra.

I've had three fsck checks today, but have had no unusual shutdowns until after the second fsck.

The second fsck came after I got a BIOS error about time/date changing. I pressed F1 to continue; the fsck said it corrected a problem and the system would reboot.

The system rebooted. Then, I shifted to boot screen mode (CTRL+ALT+F1), but the screen never updated after printing resuming normal boot. I waited and listened for HD activity, and then I force powered down the system.

The third fsck came after that. I've never had an Ubuntu/Kubuntu system require an fsck on a forced shutdown, but I know that can happen on full running Linux systems.

Are there any HD diags I can run and instructions on how to run them?

Thanks
    Last edited by cmnorton; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: correct wording for accuracy
    cmn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HD Diagnostics

• caljohnsmith gives instructions on testing hard drive health using smartctl here:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=32

(Note: not all drives recognize S.M.A.R.T. commands, but maybe this will work for you.)
    • Code:
      sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep state
      Will tell you if the ext2/ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda1 is clean or unclean, though I'm not sure that is what you are looking for.
    • If you have a Seagate drive, Seagate provides their own proprietary hard drive diagnostic tool here:
      http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...loads/seatools

If you have a drive of a different manufacturer, maybe check their website for similar tools.
    Last edited by unutbu; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A forced shutdown can hose a filesystem from time to time, particularly if the HD is writing when the shutdown happens.

My guess (since it is a new computer) is that somehow the fielsystem got borked and fsck isn't able to correct it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 8.10
    Gazelle Ultra

Once the time/date got fixed, it stopped doing the fsck. So, it all seems OK, now.
    cmn