Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE Pc 1000

Beans

Asus EEE Pc 1000

Hey guys,

Found this amazing deal for an Asus EEE PC 1000 for £281

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146029

Just wondering what you guys have? Any success with netbooks in general? Im thinking the new EXT4 filesystem on one of these must be fast as hell?

Heres the spec:

Intel Atom 1.6 GHz
    1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    40 GB Solid State Drive
    Operating System: Linux
    10" TFT
    1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
    High Definition Audio
    Integrated Microphone
    Networking
    Compliant Standards: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (draft)
    Dimensions
    Width 26.6 cm
    Depth 19.1 cm
    Height 3.8 cm
    Weight 1.33 kg
    6-cell Lithium Ion Battery,
    Up to 8 Hours Run Time
    3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
    1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
    1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
    Warranty/Miscellaneous
    2 Year Manufacturer Warranty
    Card reader
    Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Memory Card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Asus EEE Pc 1000

I recently picked up an EEEPC 900A from Best Buy for $199 USD. The 4GB SSD is pretty slow, but I like everything else about it. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but it's worth it for the portability.

Right now there are two Ubuntu-based distros that are made for the EEE, Easy Peasy and EEEBuntu. I've had a much better experience with EEEBuntu. Easy Peasy includes too many unnecessary apps by default and I ran into various bugs such as Ubiquity being added to my session startup, failure to shut down, and XFCE app icons not displaying. Right now I'm running EEEBuntu Base with the Netbook Remix interface added. With just a small amount of necessary apps it's taking up ~2GB on my 4GB SSD.

Beans

Cool - Im looking forward to Ubuntu NBR 8.10. Have you tired 8.04? I saw a video of it installed on a Dell and it looked very well polished.

My friend at work as a Acer Aspire One which boots in like 15 seconds - are they any where near these speeds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    Cool - Im looking forward to Ubuntu NBR 8.10. Have you tired 8.04? I saw a video of it installed on a Dell and it looked very well polished.

My friend at work as a Acer Aspire One which boots in like 15 seconds - are they any where near these speeds?
    Haven't tried 8.04, I've got to have the latest and greatest. My system boots pretty quick, maybe in about 25 seconds or so. Firefox does seem to bog down the SSD though; it takes a while to become responsive. I wonder if there's a setting I can tweak for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would rather have this, bigger, faster, better screen, optical drive, cheaper.

Beans

Thing is, I already have a M1330 - and Im just being a geek.

The netbooks are awesome, the EEE PC 1000 weighs just over 1kg and has 7-8 hours battery life. Thats incredible for something so "cheap".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    Thing is, I already have a M1330 - and Im just being a geek.

The netbooks are awesome, the EEE PC 1000 weighs just over 1kg and has 7-8 hours battery life. Thats incredible for something so "cheap".
    The HP 2133 is far better built, better screen res and under £200 on Ebuyer, who also have the best of the Eee's, the 901 for £238.

Large capacity batteries are available for the HP2133 for £40-ish.

Beans

Eewww Via processor?

Its all about the Intel Atom for preformance to battery life ratio, isnt it?

Good shout for the alternatives tho

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I picked up an Asus Eee 1000 about a week ago. The preinstalled Xandros OS left a little something to be desired, IMO, and it's now booting to eeebuntu instead. Like NTolerance I tried Easy Peasy, but eeebuntu is the way to go IMO as well.

I've never gotten seven hours on a charge, but I can get 5 easily.

The keyboard is a bit bigger than some other netbooks I've tried making touch-typing easier. I still find myself doing a combination of touch-typing with some hunt & peck thrown in but it's a very "use-able" KB in my opinion.

So far I'm loving my Eee.

Beans

Thanks for the reviews! So would you recommend it over the 901?

I gathered the 8 hours battery was over-the-top. Does the 1000 have that multi-touch thing on the touch pad? I did some googling and I found out that you can buy Touch screen for them and stuff. Makes it a fun gadget if your into tweaking

Have you tried Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast