Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Intrepid no keyboard or touchpad after suspend

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Intrepid no keyboard or touchpad after suspend

I'm in the same boat as you, cygnus8595. Suspend was just inop until the .27-11 Kernel update. After that, it resumes okay, but without the onboard keyboard and trackpad.

I should point out that I can use an external KB/Mouse, and oddly enough, still use the power management functions on the keyboard - such as brightness and, oddly enough, suspend. However, input into the screen doesn't work.

Looking at /proc/bus/input/devices shows that the entries for the onboard keyboard and mouse are missing. I'm thinking the system just isnt detecting them after suspend. Which leads me to further suspect that they aren't hooked up through USB, since my external KB works fine.

Maybe some script to reload whatever bus they are on is appropriate?

EDIT: Forgot to mention its a HP dv5-1002nr
    Last edited by PiousRenegade; January 28th, 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added model number of laptop

Beans

I'm sure it's somewhere in the 99video script, because that's where the difference is in the pm-suspend.log. It shows "Function not supported" twice after that script runs in a resume but not in a thaw from hibernate. Check yours out after a failed resume and see if that same error is there, if you don't mind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus8595 View Post
    I'm sure it's somewhere in the 99video script, because that's where the difference is in the pm-suspend.log. It shows "Function not supported" twice after that script runs in a resume but not in a thaw from hibernate. Check yours out after a failed resume and see if that same error is there, if you don't mind.
    I do not mind. Here ya go:

Code:
    piousrenegade@Oroboros:~$ cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log 
    Initial commandline parameters: 
    Wed Jan 28 13:22:05 HST 2009: Running hooks for suspend.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio suspend: sudo: no passwd entry for 1000!
    success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led suspend: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/48hid2hci suspend: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/96laptop-mode suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video suspend: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend: success.
    Wed Jan 28 13:22:07 HST 2009: performing suspend
    Wed Jan 28 15:04:41 HST 2009: Awake.
    Wed Jan 28 15:04:41 HST 2009: Running hooks for resume
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/96laptop-mode resume: Laptop mode enabled, active
    success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/48hid2hci resume: No devices in HID mode found
    Returned exit code 1.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led resume: not applicable.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio resume: success.
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear resume: sudo: no passwd entry for 1000!
    success.
    Wed Jan 28 15:04:43 HST 2009: Finished.
    piousrenegade@Oroboros:~$

Beans

Crap, I was hoping to see the "Function not supported" error somewhere. I guess 99video isn't the problem.

Beans

I'm happy to report that I have been tracking this issue along with you, and have been able to resume from suspend with functional touchpad and keyboard! Prior to then, I could resume from hibernate with no apparent issues, but resume from suspend resulted in a non-functioning keyboard and touchpad.

There are several very relevant threads and bugs still open, however, so I'm surprised you didn't stumble upon potential solutions.

The solution which worked for me was to add "i8042.reset" to the /boot/grub/menu.lst entry which contains stuff like "ro quiet splash" as noted at the bottom of the post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1038898.html
    Fwiw here is my menu.lst entry in total, so you can see where to add "i8042.reset":
    Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
    uuid		88b99fce-0f2b-421d-9071-5974649671ce
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=88b99fce-0f2b-421d-9071-5974649671ce ro quiet splash i8042.reset
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
    quiet
    There are other threads which suggest tweaks to acpi-support to unbind then bind i8042 for the keyboard and touchpad, but none worked for me. Interesting that hooking a USB keyboard worked fine, as did a USB mouse. When I typed in the commands to unbind/bind, they worked fine and restored a functioning laptop keyboard/touchpad. However I couldn't get them to work in the /etc/acpi/resume.d/ folder as these posts refer:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=14
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ort/+bug/23497

Currently, I still have composite and AIGLX disabled, per other posts suggesting those changes are required for suspend/resume. I will definitely be testing various methods of re-enabling desktop effects. I do like the eye-candy, but I would also just appreciate hardware-accelerated everything else! These changes were added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to disable Composite and AIGLX:
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
            Option        "Composite"        "Disable"
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
           Option  "AIGLX" "off" 
    EndSection
    Let me know if adding the "i8042.reset" to your menu.lst entry helps! I may also post to the other threads to see if people find this fix helpful there too. (Can't believe the bug entry has been unresolved for year and a half!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmw86069 View Post
    I'm happy to report that I have been tracking this issue along with you, and have been able to resume from suspend with functional touchpad and keyboard! Prior to then, I could resume from hibernate with no apparent issues, but resume from suspend resulted in a non-functioning keyboard and touchpad.

There are several very relevant threads and bugs still open, however, so I'm surprised you didn't stumble upon potential solutions.

The solution which worked for me was to add "i8042.reset" to the /boot/grub/menu.lst entry which contains stuff like "ro quiet splash" as noted at the bottom of the post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1038898.html
    Fwiw here is my menu.lst entry in total, so you can see where to add "i8042.reset":
    Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
    uuid		88b99fce-0f2b-421d-9071-5974649671ce
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=88b99fce-0f2b-421d-9071-5974649671ce ro quiet splash i8042.reset
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
    quiet
    There are other threads which suggest tweaks to acpi-support to unbind then bind i8042 for the keyboard and touchpad, but none worked for me. Interesting that hooking a USB keyboard worked fine, as did a USB mouse. When I typed in the commands to unbind/bind, they worked fine and restored a functioning laptop keyboard/touchpad. However I couldn't get them to work in the /etc/acpi/resume.d/ folder as these posts refer:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=14
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ort/+bug/23497

Currently, I still have composite and AIGLX disabled, per other posts suggesting those changes are required for suspend/resume. I will definitely be testing various methods of re-enabling desktop effects. I do like the eye-candy, but I would also just appreciate hardware-accelerated everything else! These changes were added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to disable Composite and AIGLX:
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
            Option        "Composite"        "Disable"
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
           Option  "AIGLX" "off" 
    EndSection
    Let me know if adding the "i8042.reset" to your menu.lst entry helps! I may also post to the other threads to see if people find this fix helpful there too. (Can't believe the bug entry has been unresolved for year and a half!)
    Well it was 100% successful for me. I now have most of the hardware in my shittly little HP craptop working. Just gotta sort out the sound server and skype issues. But that's for another thread!

BTW, I have Compiz running with plenty of eye candy, and running with ATI's drivers.

I think the i8042.reset solution is just hard to get one's head around. I mean, the LAST place I would think to put a line like that would be in the boot options!

Beans

I have something interesting to report. This problem is not Linux specific. This same sort of thing happened with my laptop running XP. Maybe it's a problem with certain touchpads?

Beans

I had i8042.reset and i8042.nomux in my menu.lst. I removed i8042.nomux and tried it with the same results - no keyboard or mouse after resume from suspend. The fact that hibernate works perfectly makes this even more frustrating.

Beans

Also, I think the hooks in acpi-support didn't work properly because newer versions of Ubuntu don't use acpi-support but instead use hal and pm-utils for power management. I tried to force Ubuntu to use acpi-support but it didn't work either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PiousRenegade View Post
    BTW, I have Compiz running with plenty of eye candy, and running with ATI's drivers.

I think the i8042.reset solution is just hard to get one's head around. I mean, the LAST place I would think to put a line like that would be in the boot options!
    It's always the LAST place, especially once it works!?

BTW I also enabled the Compiz and Emerald eyecandy, and they both work. It's nice to have a laptop with working graphics, wireless network, and power-saving. Of course, I say that after none of those three worked for a few days... possibly the top 3 things a laptop needs!

cygnus, I will take another look at your log files (as if it has any chance of helping!) but for me, I could see that after hibernate, the i8042 lines reloaded somehow, but after suspend, the i8042 lines did not appear. I mean, easier in hindsight I know... but I was looking for serio_raw module which I figured may need reloading. It didn't, but that may be something else to try. (E.g. "sudo rmmod serio_raw && sudo modprobe serio_raw" -- I put both on the same line, you know, cuz I didn't know if it would somehow kill my USB keyboard functionality. SSH would still work though.) I tried reloading HAL ("sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart") but again, that didn't work for me either. For you, ya never know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast