Thread: Wireless on MacBook 3,1 + Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wireless on MacBook 3,1 + Ubuntu 8.04

Hi, I'm new around here (and fairly new to Linux/Ubuntu).

I've just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my Macbook (3,1) and I want to get wireless internet working. There is no wireless option under the internet Preferences (or whatever it's called), so I'm not sure how to get it working.

I know there are solutions on the wiki, but they make no sense to me or I can't get them to work.
    (mainly because they require an internet connection in Ubuntu to download drivers, is there any way I could download the drivers in OSX then install them in Ubuntu?)

If someone could explain how to get wireless internet working or point me to a guide explaining how to do it, that would be absolutely great!

Please note that I'm new to Ubuntu and using the terminal, but any help will still be appreciated!
    Last edited by -nat-; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wireless on MacBook 3,1 + Ubuntu 8.04

First, I would use Intrepid (8.10) since it has better support for your machine.

Second, I believe that no matter what, you are going to need an internet connection for a moment. Why can you not just plug in the ethernet?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    First, I would use Intrepid (8.10) since it has better support for your machine.

Second, I believe that no matter what, you are going to need an internet connection for a moment. Why can you not just plug in the ethernet?
    So is there no way I can download the files while in OSX then boot into Ubuntu and install them? because I have no way of connecting via ethernet and I can't get Intrepid because my internet is currently at dial up speed

Beans
    Distro

Yay! I got it working!
    it was quite simple to fix it as well.
    I used this tutorial here, but downloaded the dell R151517.EXE file while in OSX, transfered it to Ubuntu, and installed the ndiswrapper files from the Live CD.

This is what I typed into terminal:

Code:
    mkdir driver
    unzip -a home/nat/Desktop/R151517.EXE -d driver/
    cd driver/DRIVER/

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

sudo gedit /etc/modules
    then I added ndiswrapper at the end of the file that opened (and saved), then rebooted and wireless was working!