Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in Sidux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Adventures in Sidux

I burned a LiveCD of sidux-2008-04-pontos-xfce-amd64-200812230009.iso, booted from it, ran md5sum check (all good), and quickly--I mean, FAST, this was no doubt the fastest-booting LiveCD I've ever seen, and I've tried quite a few--the xfce desktop is up and running, ready to go. Sweet. Fire up the web browser, tried www.google.com, oops, it appears there's no network (I have broadband wired ethernet). Try a few different sites with the same result. ifconfig only shows 'lo', no 'eth0' as there should be. That's ok, I think, I'll go ahead and install sidux on /dev/sda1, and worry about the network later.

Installer is very nice; it's easy to move back a tab or two if you overlooked something. Set the partitioner to install / to /dev/sda1 , then comes Grub config. Let me just say that I use /dev/sda1 as a sandbox to install various Linux flavors as the mood strikes me. I never allow them to install Grub or lilo, instead manually editing /boot/grub/menu.lst on my Ubuntu partition (/dev/sdb5) to whatever it needs to be.

But I can't seem to get past the Grub screen. There doesn't appear to be an option to install sidux without a bootloader, at least that I can find. Boot Ubuntu, google "install sidux without grub," but I can't find any info. Try a few other searches, but no joy. I'm disappointed. I don't think I've ever seen this option NOT available.

Sidux is SO fast to run, even from a LiveCD, that I'm tempted to install it anyway and allow its Grub to do whatever it needs, and hope that I can figure out the network failure later (I can't recall a LiveCD distro that hasn't seen my network). Yes, I know I can confine Grub to /dev/sda1 and chainload it, but I'm old and stuck in my ways.

It's so freaking FAST!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Adventures in Sidux

I'm noticing a huge bump in Sidux's popularity lately. If you decide to install it, update the thread. It's an interesting distro, definitely one I've been periodically peeping.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm downloading the kde-lite-amd64 version now, to see how it works out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    ... Yes, I know I can confine Grub to /dev/sda1 and chainload it, but I'm old and stuck in my ways.
    I was about to suggest chainloading. I'm glad I read right to the end of your post!

Just out of curiosity, do you have any USB storage devices? Any trouble accesssing those from the sidux LiveCD? I recently tried out the sysresccd and it's quite good, but it didn't like my USB stick for whatever reason.

It's interesting that after months of little-to-no comments about sidux, we see two threads about sidux in a matter of hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I use sidux on my old Gateway (256MB RAM, 700MHz PIII). Even with Xfce it flies.
    I can only imagine how fast it would be on a modern computer.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's been almost a month?!? How did I miss this latest sidux release?

Time to go download.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

"do you have any USB storage devices?"

I'll try one out tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've always been a sucker for Sidux. It has to be one of the fastest, bleeding edge distros I've used that was also easy to setup.

Beans

Networking in Sidux is handled by a very slick little application called Ceni (invoke it from the command line or from the Network applications menu). It does not auto-connect in the live CD as far as I know.

Once installed, you can use a different network manager if you like.

I don't know anything about the Grub issue, sorry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Networking in Sidux is handled by a very slick little application called Ceni (invoke it from the command line or from the Network applications menu). It does not auto-connect in the live CD as far as I know.

Once installed, you can use a different network manager if you like.

I don't know anything about the Grub issue, sorry.
    Ah, thank you for that.

I tried the 'kde-lite' version; it wasn't quite as fast as the xfce one, but still snappy. Sorry I haven't checked out the USB issue yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast