Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans

Booting Mac from USB via Boot CD

Finally, I got a working solution: Plop Linux boot manager

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html

1. unzip and burn the iso inside the folder to a cd
    2. plug the live-usb-disk and insert the boot-cd into the computer
    3. when you start up the computer from the CD it will bring you a menu to choose which device to boot from
    4. select usb

Send the author a donation via his site if this saves you as much headache as it does for me!

Beans

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Just recently got 10.10(64bit) up and running on a mbp5,1! Have to say, I'm pretty impressed.

My only question: Has anyone successfully upgraded from 10.10. to 11.04 on a mbp5,1? (unibody late 2008)

Beans

I am trying to dual boot Ubuntu on my Mac mini (version: Macmini2,1). I have been following the "Detailed How-To" instructions on this page of the Ubuntu documentation.

I run into a problem at the "Fix Partition Tables" step. I get the "analysis inconclusive" message described in the second bullet point in this section of the documentation. The documentation says to follow the instructions in this post for using gdisk to rebuild the partition table.

From a live Ubuntu CD, I followed step 1 and installed gdisk.

Step 2 says to run "sudo gdisk /dev/disk0". Instructions earlier in the post say to replace "disk0" with "/dev/sda or the appropriate device". I'm sorry this is such a newbie question, but what should I be replacing "disk0" with?

Thank you in advance.

Beans

Sorry to post again, but since no one is responding, I'm wondering if my question doesn't make sense or has already been answered somewhere else. Any input would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the key information is

Everything that follows was done from a Mac OS terminal.
    This makes sense since /dev/disk0 is Mac notation and the poster is running this step from Max OSX.
    The poster is even mentioning

You could just as easily do steps 1-8 from the USB Live session; you need to use /dev/sda or the appropriate device instead of /dev/disk0
    So, if you are running the steps from Ubuntu, use /dev/sda instead of /dev/disk0.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    So, if you are running the steps from Ubuntu, use /dev/sda instead of /dev/disk0.
    The thing that's catching me up is that the instructions say "You could just as easily do steps 1-8 from the USB Live session; you need to use /dev/sda or the appropriate device instead of /dev/disk0." I know nothing about hard drives or partitions. I'm doing this from a live Ubuntu CD. How do I know if /dev/sda is the "appropriate device"?

Thanks.

Edit: Just for the sake of trying something, I ran the command "sudo gdisk /dev/disk". I got back "sudo: gdisk: command not found". What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Kyl3; April 21st, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Dude you can install Linux Ubuntu on Mac just check this link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Ae1mSICO8
    http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/07/how-t...easy-and-free/
    best of luck

Beans

Hello, first of all thanks for all the work you are doing/already did. This is great.

Im just new around the corner, trying to get Ubuntu 12.04 running on a MacBookPro 5,3 for the first time and i really enjoyed making all the individual buttons work. This was imo the best part of the new experience so far.

Although i wish there would be more documentation on the more dangerous parameters, that one can accidently do as a newcomer, such as "acpi off", which was the only parameter, that i got ubuntu working with in the first place. Unfortunately i only learned of its dangers later on from a fellow on another forum.

Now i also tried other boot parameters mind you, but no one could give me instructions on how to exactly modify the file. Before the splash, after it or replace....

This makes it hard for newcomers.

And sure i should have red more before attempting something like this, still i think it would be good, to add some of this info somewhere to the tutorials, until there are better ways to run this with efi

aka

what are the boot parameters, which ones can be used safely, if it does not work on your mac, so it will initialise.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jonas2012; June 10th, 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have this guide on the community wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ub...ciseon2011imac

Beans

Exclamation Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Hi, had ubuntu 12.4 installed on iMac 7,1, everything work fine wireless, boot, sounds ..etc. some time if work with graphic like Blender, Gimp ...
    become the screen like this:

Dosn't work any more within reboot the system!

Hope that you solved this issue

Regards
    Eglo

More details about the model:

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 24-Inch (Aluminum) features a 2.4 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (T7700), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 4 MB shared level 2 cache, an 800 MHz system bus, 1 GB of RAM (667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-5300), a 320 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive, a vertically-mounted slot-loading DVD+R DL "SuperDrive", ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics acceleration with 256 MB of GDDR3 memory, a built-in iSight video camera, and built-in stereo speakers underneath the 24" glossy TFT Active Matrix LCD (1920x1200 native) display designed to "bounce sound off the desk below".

Connectivity includes three USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire "400" port and a Firewire "800" port, built-in AirPort Extreme, and Gigabit Ethernet, as well as mini-DVI, which supports an external display in "extended desktop" mode.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast