Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by simonrodan View Post
    I'm having the same problem.

Following suggestions at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ir3-2/Meerkat/

These packages are not found:
    btusb-dkms
    hid-apple-dkms
    bcm5974-dkms
    xf86-input-multitouch
    snd-hda-dkms

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    If you are running Natty (11.04), those packages are not in the Mactel ppa for that version.

https://launchpad.net/~mactel-suppor...s_filter=natty

If you are actually running a MacBook Air 3,2 and Ubuntu 11.04, this page on the community wiki may be more appropriate.
    Last edited by CoreyB.; June 19th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Having the exact same problem as the above post. Anyone figure this out?
    No trees were hurt in the transmission of this message. However, a few thousand electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    My Website
    My Operating System

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by brodeur235 View Post
    Having the exact same problem as the above post. Anyone figure this out?
    If you mean you are having the same problem as simonrodan, the problem is that you are trying to install packages from the Mactel PPA that don't exist in Natty. The page simonrodan was looking at was for Maverick (10.10), but he/she is actually running Natty (11.04), and the contents of the page don't really apply.

Beans

Hey guys, I've got a 15" i7 Macbook 8,2. I've been trying the 32 bit and 64 bit Live CD versions but cannot seem to get them to run. The problem i get is "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system". Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Help would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm tired of OS X and it's oppressive ways >
    Last edited by ATaghavi; June 30th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ATaghavi View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a 15" i7 Macbook 8,2. I've been trying the 32 bit and 64 bit Live CD versions but cannot seem to get them to run. The problem i get is "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system". Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Help would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm tired of OS X and it's oppressive ways >
    I have a MacBook Pro 8,1 and the same problem. 32 bit 10.04, 32 bit 11.04, and 64 bit 11.04 are all unsuccessful, from both CDs/DVDs and USB sticks. If I plug in an external hard drive, I can at least run the live CD ('try Ubuntu without installing'), but I can't install it.

Clearly there are people running Ubuntu on the same computer, so it's possible. But what's the trick?

Beans
    Distro

I got Ubuntu installed on my new MacBook Pro (8,1)!

I also have a MacBook Pro 3,1 that is dual-booted with Ubuntu 10.04. In Ubuntu, I downloaded the 11.10 Daily Build (64-bit Mac alternate install .iso) and followed the directions here to create an install DVD and also a USB stick.

I installed rEFIt on my new MacBook Pro, and shrunk the size of my Mac OS X partition from 1 TB to 800 GB, leaving 200 GB of free space.

I then plugged in the USB stick, inserted the DVD, and restarted the computer while holding the 'c' key to boot from the DVD. I followed the install directions, choosing to install Ubuntu in the largest contiguous free space.

Wireless doesn't work, and the touchpad seems pretty glitchy, but I've removed the install media and confirmed that I can boot into Ubuntu without them.

It's taken me eight days of reading these forums and trying various methods, but I've finally got it installed. Now to try to get things working properly...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mambeu View Post
    I got Ubuntu installed on my new MacBook Pro (8,1)!

I also have a MacBook Pro 3,1 that is dual-booted with Ubuntu 10.04. In Ubuntu, I downloaded the 11.10 Daily Build (64-bit Mac alternate install .iso) and followed the directions here to create an install DVD and also a USB stick.

I installed rEFIt on my new MacBook Pro, and shrunk the size of my Mac OS X partition from 1 TB to 800 GB, leaving 200 GB of free space.

I then plugged in the USB stick, inserted the DVD, and restarted the computer while holding the 'c' key to boot from the DVD. I followed the install directions, choosing to install Ubuntu in the largest contiguous free space.

Wireless doesn't work, and the touchpad seems pretty glitchy, but I've removed the install media and confirmed that I can boot into Ubuntu without them.

It's taken me eight days of reading these forums and trying various methods, but I've finally got it installed. Now to try to get things working properly...

Is it necessary to use the USB stick AND the DVD at the same time? Also, how did you get into Ubuntu on your MBPro to make the USB and DVD? Any help is GREATLY appreciated man.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ATaghavi View Post
    Is it necessary to use the USB stick AND the DVD at the same time? Also, how did you get into Ubuntu on your MBPro to make the USB and DVD? Any help is GREATLY appreciated man.
    I don't know if it's necessary to use both the USB stick and the DVD to install Ubuntu. The impression that I got from reading the forums here was that the installer would use the files on the USB, but I don't really have any idea.

I have two MacBook Pros. One is model 3,1 (late 2007) and is dual-booted with both Mac OS X and Ubuntu (10.04 LTS). The other is the new 8,1 (early 2011). I created the DVD and the install USB on the older MBP, in Ubuntu. I thought maybe I'd have an easier time if the installation media were created in Ubuntu, but now that I think about it I'm not sure why it should make a difference.

I'm still new to Ubuntu, so don't take this as anything other than a wild guess, but the 11.10 daily build I installed (the alternate install .iso with the text installer) uses the 3.0.something kernel when the other releases I tried used 2.6.something.

I hope this helps you. I'm still very much figuring things out myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mambeu View Post
    I don't know if it's necessary to use both the USB stick and the DVD to install Ubuntu. The impression that I got from reading the forums here was that the installer would use the files on the USB, but I don't really have any idea.

I have two MacBook Pros. One is model 3,1 (late 2007) and is dual-booted with both Mac OS X and Ubuntu (10.04 LTS). The other is the new 8,1 (early 2011). I created the DVD and the install USB on the older MBP, in Ubuntu. I thought maybe I'd have an easier time if the installation media were created in Ubuntu, but now that I think about it I'm not sure why it should make a difference.

I'm still new to Ubuntu, so don't take this as anything other than a wild guess, but the 11.10 daily build I installed (the alternate install .iso with the text installer) uses the 3.0.something kernel when the other releases I tried used 2.6.something.

I hope this helps you. I'm still very much figuring things out myself.
    I'm having the same issue, have been trying to get Ubuntu on my machine for days. Currently downloading oneiric-alternate-amd64+mac (11.10) daily build to see if I can get the same results as you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amo3 View Post
    I'm having the same issue, have been trying to get Ubuntu on my machine for days. Currently downloading oneiric-alternate-amd64+mac (11.10) daily build to see if I can get the same results as you.
    Installation from CD failed for me with 11.10 alternate . Same issue, unable to detect any usable CD.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast