Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    you should start a thread for this.
    Okay. I have deleted it, couse i didnt get any help.
    But i think i might test it again later on, could be good to know before i install ubuntu via bootcamp, how i am supposed to get everything working.

Beans

i'm using Intel Macbook Pro 2.4
    install 64bit ubuntu via Virtual box, do i need to get the driver for my hardware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cRazYee View Post
    i'm using Intel Macbook Pro 2.4
    install 64bit ubuntu via Virtual box, do i need to get the driver for my hardware?
    Installing in a VM doesn't require most of the stuff that you have to do when installing natively since the system sees different hardware in the VM than the 'real' hardware your machine has.

You should install the VirtualBox Guest Additions to get the VM hardware drivers.

Beans

Can I install Intel Mac (Mactel) on my iphone? How?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by techfanboy81 View Post
    Can I install Intel Mac (Mactel) on my iphone? How?
    Mactel is a term that means "Intel-based Mac", so I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but if you are trying to install Ubuntu on your iPhone, then no I do not think this is possible at this time.

Beans

So I installed ubuntu onto my Black MacBook and the last step told me I had to sync the disks, so I clicked on the DiskPartion tool in rEFIt and it told me it didn't need to sync, press any key to continue. But now when I try to go and boot up ubuntu, the penguin in the tux just sits there forever. How can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Eemerica2s View Post
    So I installed ubuntu onto my Black MacBook and the last step told me I had to sync the disks, so I clicked on the DiskPartion tool in rEFIt and it told me it didn't need to sync, press any key to continue. But now when I try to go and boot up ubuntu, the penguin in the tux just sits there forever. How can I fix this?
    shutdown, and startup a couple of times... (not a reboot, a shutdown and a startup)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

One thing I'm not clear on with rEFIt: when should it be installed?

From OSX, before putting Ubuntu on the second partition? Or go ahead and install the 2nd OS, and then install rEFIt from OSX? From Ubuntu?

I don't use Macs much, so I tried to just install ubuntu and assumed grub would dual boot. But it doesn't. I gather I need something like rEFIt.

Assuming everything is set up right, what will my boot process look like? Will rEFIt take over the function I'm used to grub doing? I.e. letting me choose an OS. Or would I have to do something extra to get at rEFIt, like hold down an ALT key, or something?

I can't find this spelled out anywhere. It's probably so obvious to those who know, it doesn't usually need to be explained!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Best to install refit first so it is there to use. But it can be installed any time provided you have OSX there to do it. You need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by quixote View Post
    One thing I'm not clear on with rEFIt: when should it be installed?

From OSX, before putting Ubuntu on the second partition? Or go ahead and install the 2nd OS, and then install rEFIt from OSX? From Ubuntu?
    I would install it before.

I don't use Macs much, so I tried to just install ubuntu and assumed grub would dual boot. But it doesn't. I gather I need something like rEFIt.
    You don't HAVE to, but it is a useful tool.

Assuming everything is set up right, what will my boot process look like? Will rEFIt take over the function I'm used to grub doing?
    No, rEFIt is an interface to the EFI subsystem of your Mac. It is, in itself, incapable of loading a Linux kernel. For that you still have to rely on GRUB (or LILO)
    I.e. letting me choose an OS. Or would I have to do something extra to get at rEFIt, like hold down an ALT key, or something?
    It will appear everytime you boot your machine. and allow you to choose between Linux and OSX, but you will also have to go through GRUB after that.
    I can't find this spelled out anywhere. It's probably so obvious to those who know, it doesn't usually need to be explained!
    There is a lot of documentation in the wiki

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages
    Last edited by cyberdork33; July 17th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast