Thread: Powerpc 8.10 upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Powerpc 8.10 upgrade

When 8.10 first came out I read about the problems people were having and decided to wait. The disks would not boot up for me on lmy G4 Ibook so I figured I might just bypass 8.10. After putting 8.10 on another computer I decided to give it a try on the Ibook. I did an upgrade and it looks like everything works fine.Just took a long time but I believe I am happy with it. Since it was so much trouble to boot and do the work arounds I was happy the upgrade went smooth. Those of you that have trouble booting 8.10 might just try to install 8.04 and upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Powerpc 8.10 upgrade

Yea Ubuntu took forever to install on my iMac G4 then I gave Kubuntu a try install took 30minutes compared to the near hour for ubuntu, Kubuntu has had less bugs than ubuntu also...
    Compaq Laptop 2.2ghz or 1.8ghz can't figure out which
    iMac PowerPC G4 17'' "broken but I still have knowledge on PowerPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McFrostey View Post
    ....Kubuntu a try install took 30minutes compared to the near hour for ubuntu, Kubuntu has had less bugs than ubuntu also...
    Out of interest, why should this be the case? I've always been assured that ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu discs have always been identical other than the choice of desktop environment. Surely that being the only factor, shouldn't cause too many different errors? Mind, what is that status of the PPC development team? I understand it is 'unofficial'? Is there one PPC team for each variant now?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

idk why it was the case, Kubuntu was way faster when installing(Ive installed Ubuntu 8.10 more than once and it takes the same amount of time to install everytime). Plus installatioin on the Kubuntu went through flawlessly with not Modprove id-sci or whatever...
    Compaq Laptop 2.2ghz or 1.8ghz can't figure out which
    iMac PowerPC G4 17'' "broken but I still have knowledge on PowerPC