Thread: Help With Boot Procedures

Beans

Help With Boot Procedures

Hi,
    Let me start by saying that I love Ubuntu. I have it set up on a computer that I do not frequently use and I get to play with and learn at my own pace.
    With that said, I thought that I might be ready to make the step up to putting Ubuntu on my notebook (Toshiba Satellite M40). I wanted to keep Windows on the computer so I could dual boot, so I used acronis to chop off a hunk of my HD and I used that for Ubuntu. I installed it and a few things did not work out as I had planned. I couldn't find any drivers for my BT mouse and a whole slew of other problems later I think that I made a bad choice for putting Ubuntu on my notebook. I thought that I could fix this by just deleting the partition that had Ubuntu on it and using acronis to put it back on my HD. Long story short, Ubuntu still wants to boot. It tries to start and gives me an error 22. Then it just sits there and does nothing. Are there boot files that I also have to change? Should I have removed Ubuntu in a different manner to avoid this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    foy1der

I also forgot to mention that I don't get a choice of which OS I would like to boot. It just assumes Ubuntu and loading it fails.
    Last edited by foy1der; January 21st, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Help With Boot Procedures

You need to reinstate the Windows bootloader by running fixmbr.

There are various ways of doing so, here's a how-to from the excellent Hermanzone website.

Beans

thanks for the reply gn2. I followed the step in this how to and when I try to install ms-sys, my terminal screen shows this

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ms-sys
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ms-sys
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    I also tried referring to ms-sys as "ms-sys-2.1.3" as that is the latest version on sourceforge.net and "ms-sys*" I am looking in all of the available repositories and I couldn't find ms-sys in the Add/Remove Applications area either. The website I referred to says I should be able to do this from a live cd, so I don't think it's that either.

Beans

I gave up. I tried to get ms-sys on my other ubuntu box and I couldn't get it to work on that one either. I threw the notebook hard drive in an enclosure, backed up and started over. Lesson learned, you can't just delete Ubuntu. Or any OS for that matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

you need to run fixmbr in windows!

Beans

That would have worked if I was able to get into Windows. I had no choice when the computer started it went right into Ubuntu and when Ubuntu wasn't there, it gave me Error 22.

Beans
    Distro

you cant select windows from grub?

Beans

I did at one point, but early today I was trying to get my notebook back to the way it was before I put Ubuntu on it and I screwed something up. Then I had nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by foy1der View Post
    That would have worked if I was able to get into Windows. I had no choice when the computer started it went right into Ubuntu and when Ubuntu wasn't there, it gave me Error 22.
    One handy utility to have is a SuperGrubDisk. It can't fix every problem... but it can sometimes fix a ******* or Linux boot problem. Sometimes even automatically.

If you are able, make a SuperGrubDisk (CD, USB-Flash or floppy) and it just might save you some troubles/frustrations in the future. It's helped me out more than once.

HTH...