Thread: mathematica does not display fonts correctly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

mathematica does not display fonts correctly

I'm working on Intrepid and Mathematica is giving me a hard time. I already posted a bug report a while ago, but I wasn't able to solve the issue. Here is the description of the problem:

I used mathematica 6.0.1 on hardy and everything worked fine. After the upgrade to intrepid, the fonts disappeared, which I identified to be this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/197163 . Running with the -defaultvisual option provided a workaround, but many characters, even simple ones like the slash /, where displayed as a box or very ugly. Thus, I upgraded to mathematica 6.0.3, where all the problems are supposed to be solved. Now, I can run mathematica without the -defaultvisual option, however, the display problems remain. As mentioned, everything started with the upgrade to intrepid. I attached a screenshot where mathematica displays the following \frac{6/7}{\sqrt{\pi}}

In this form, mathematica is unusable. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem or how to find a workaround?

I hope crosspostings with an old launchpad bugreport are not against the forum policy here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: mathematica does not display fonts correctly

Moved to Education and Science.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: mathematica does not display fonts correctly

well, I had similar issues with mathematica 6.0.2 and 6.0.3 when i updated to intrepid...
    i am now using mathematica 7 and it works great.