Page 23 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Thanks for the mirrors fasteddy86, I've been intalled jaunty amd64 in a Aspire one 5930, before I had intrepid i386 on the same system, I made a clean install to use ext4 instead ext3. Works fine, let's see how my headphones work.

Beans

Mic and Line in now working on my Lenovo Ideapad s10

Upgrading to Jaunty made ALSA screw up on my s10. The only capture or recording device listed was "Digital" and though the front mic would play in the speaker, it would not work as a capture device for things like audacity and Jack.

After running the script on my s10, I didn't see any immediate changes. I searched the modules list but the s10 wasn't listed. I did find the right type of module by running in terminal:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Coded

which returned

Codec: Realtek ALC269

Since Ideapad isn't a device listed specifically in the HD-Audio_Models.txt, I had to guess which one would work best. This was the ultimate solution: I added the line in alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=basic

After a reboot, I finally have all the options and switches I need in ALSA! Mic and Line in work as capture inputs now! Hope this helps all you s10 users!

Beans

Smile Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Note, the script does not work in case you have linux backports modules installed ( in my case I need it for the integrated network chip). The problem is that with backports installed, the kernel loads the driver from /lib/modules/<kernel modules number>/updates/alsa instead of the usual spot. So you need to copy the alsa-drivers there ( meaning the content of
    /lib/modules/<kernel modules number>/kernel/sound) or sudo aptitude remove linux-backports-modules-<Ubunutu Distro>

Beans

Hi,

the script fails compiling on my computer:
    Code:
    Making all in a52
    make[2]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-plugins-1.0.19/a52'
    if /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..    -Wall -g -I/usr/include/alsa   -I/usr/local/include -DAVCODEC_HEADER="<libavcodec/avcodec.h>" -g -O2 -MTpcm_a52.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/pcm_a52.Tpo" -c -o pcm_a52.lo pcm_a52.c; \
            then mv -f ".deps/pcm_a52.Tpo" ".deps/pcm_a52.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/pcm_a52.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    mkdir .libs
     gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -Wall -g -I/usr/include/alsa -I/usr/local/include "-DAVCODEC_HEADER=<libavcodec/avcodec.h>" -g -O2 -MT pcm_a52.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/pcm_a52.Tpo -c pcm_a52.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/pcm_a52.o
    /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -Wall -g -I/usr/include/alsa   -I/usr/local/include -DAVCODEC_HEADER="<libavcodec/avcodec.h>" -g -O2 -module -avoid-version -export-dynamic -no-undefined   -o libasound_module_pcm_a52.la -rpath /usr/lib/alsa-lib  pcm_a52.lo -lasound   -L/usr/local/lib -lavcodec   -lasound
    gcc -shared  .libs/pcm_a52.o  -L/usr/local/lib -lavcodec /usr/lib/libasound.so  -Wl,-soname -Wl,libasound_module_pcm_a52.so -o .libs/libasound_module_pcm_a52.so
    /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.a(allcodecs.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `aasc_decoder' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
    /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [libasound_module_pcm_a52.la] Fehler 1
    make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-plugins-1.0.19/a52'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
    make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-plugins-1.0.19'
    make: *** [all] Fehler 2
    alsa-plugins-1.0.19 make failed
    I'm using x64 Kubuntu 9.04

Beans

The script installed perfectly on my 9.04 Laptop system. I can only hear a faint sound through headphones, though. (which is better then the zero sound I had)

Intel HDA. I tried to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with different options, but it's still a really tiny noise. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sdcope View Post
    The script installed perfectly on my 9.04 Laptop system. I can only hear a faint sound through headphones, though. (which is better then the zero sound I had)

Intel HDA. I tried to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base with different options, but it's still a really tiny noise. Any suggestions?
    Maybe type "alsamixer -c0" into the Terminal, and check the volume levels of everything?

Beans

Hi there,

thanks for the good script. Saves quite a bit of work for the compilation.

Anyway, I have got the problem that my sound works alright when I plug in my headphone, but not through the Notebook speaker. I attached the output from uxchecker-1.05.sh. Any hint would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Marcus
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There are debs for alsa1.0.19 and pulseaudio 0.9.15 for Hardy, Intrepid and Jaunty here which may be an easier way to get them since you can just add the ppa to your repo list and get them with apt or Synaptic

https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
    Maybe type "alsamixer -c0" into the Terminal, and check the volume levels of everything?

Everything appears to be turned up to the maximum, and nothing appears to be muted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

markubuntu,

I'm using jaunty 32 bit. I installed the packages for alsa1.0.19 and pulseaudio 0.9.15: by going to https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa, adding the sources, storing the gpg key & using Update Manager. Interestingly, alsa-base (on Synaptic) still shows 1.0.18 whereas lib-asound2 shows 1.0.19: looking at the ppa this is expected since the package list doesn't show alsa-base. Is there another ppa with alsa-base 1.0.19?

I've also used your recomendation of downloading a bunch of packages (e.g. pdadevchooser) and then configuring sound using pdadevchooser app & System Preferences Sound & Gnome Volume Control.

PS I've also added the following lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
    options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-xxxx
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    (where xxxx=m26 for Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop
    and xxxx=3stack for Dell Inspiron E520 Desktop)
    This comes from a launchpad bug.

At the end of all this, Sound Recorder & Skype work OK on my desktop but do not work (specifically recording/capturing) on my laptop!
    John

Page 23 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast