Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia76 View Post
    In case we want to install from the latest snapshot, do we need to run the script with -snap only, or -d, then -snap, than -i, as with previous script version?

Thank you!
    1. -d to download the entire base package
    2. -snap to download the snapshot and then to compile and install the entire package. -i is not needed in this case.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tbarnette View Post
    Thanks for the hardwork in making the update script!

I executed it and it seemed to download, compile, and install correctly. I also have an HP DV4 (same as aeleneski), with the same problem - sound out of headphones, but not speaker.

I tried a few other things with no luck. Is there some kind of snap shot or log I can create that would help debug the problem?

Thanks!
    Since your problem seems to be a common problem. A trouble ticket needs to be opened. The alsa designers need the output of the alsa-info.sh script, which you'll find in the opening post.

I think it is better if you guys send the ticket directly. Because I can not really answer any related questions.

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/mail...nfo/alsa-devel

As mentioned before. You should have also tried the latest snapshot, before issueing the ticket.

This will for sure lead to a solution for you guys.

Cheers

Beans

I'll try to do both tonight.. .I Have the kids though.. .dinner, showers, homework... no promises..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    1. -d to download the entire base package
    2. -snap to download the snapshot and then to compile and install the entire package. -i is not needed in this case.

Good luck.
    Thanks!
    Is there any reason why option -snap is not downloading the entire package, the latest snapshot, then compile and install the whole in one step? I mean is there any purpose to have -d first, then -snap?

I assume, I can modify the script to run like this by myself, but I wanted to know if there is any risk with that, why you are not organized it in this way?

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia76 View Post
    Thanks!
    Is there any reason why option -snap is not downloading the entire package, the latest snapshot, then compile and install the whole in one step? I mean is there any purpose to have -d first, then -snap?

I assume, I can modify the script to run like this by myself, but I wanted to know if there is any risk with that, why you are not organized it in this way?

Thank you!
    I regarded -snap as a separate patch function, which I run from time to time, between major upgrade intervals. I don't want to download the entire package every time.

You can change it at the bottom of the script. It is just one command (function call) you have to add.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm having a really hard time getting my sound to work on Ubuntu. I only recently switched and I'm still learning the basics of working in this new OS.

Anyway, I updated my ALSA to version 1.019 with this script (version 1.16). I'm on Ubuntu Intrepid, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic. I'm on a Dell M1530, soundcard is a Intel STAC92xx.

I tried disabling PulseAudio, switching all my devices to the ALSA in Sound Preferences, checking no channel is on mute in the Gnome Mixer, but all seems fine and has no effect whatsoever. The sole thing that makes my sound work, though, is the operation:

Code:
    sudo alsa force-reload
    From then on everything (well, as far as I checked) works fine. Until I reboot and my notebook stays silent again. Is there anyone who has a suggestion for a new move?

Beans

Thanks a lot for the script! Solved the no-sound problem on my Asus L50Vn laptop (ALC663) with Intrepid.

Beans

hi i wanted to use your script cause i played to much with my alsa configs and want to get them back to default. At one point the scipt wont move on... log sais:
    Code:
    rm -f .depend *.o snd.map*
    rm -f /*.ver
    rm -f modules/*.o modules/*.ko
    make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    Makefile:6: /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/Makefile.conf: No such file or directory
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/Rules.make:75: /Rules.make1: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** Keine Regel, um »/Rules.make1« zu erstellen.  Schluss.
    make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    make: *** [clean] Fehler 1
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name...
    any idea how to get it working or simply how to reset everything around alsa to default?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nigggo View Post
    hi i wanted to use your script cause i played to much with my alsa configs and want to get them back to default. At one point the scipt wont move on... log sais:
    Code:
    rm -f .depend *.o snd.map*
    rm -f /*.ver
    rm -f modules/*.o modules/*.ko
    make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    Makefile:6: /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/Makefile.conf: No such file or directory
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/Rules.make:75: /Rules.make1: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** Keine Regel, um »/Rules.make1« zu erstellen.  Schluss.
    make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    make: *** [clean] Fehler 1
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name...
    any idea how to get it working or simply how to reset everything around alsa to default?
    You could try the restore option of the script. This will reinstall all
    Alsa relevant packages from Ubuntu repositories.

Beans

thx i got it work with my old version. i simply removed my manually setup config files restarted and made a new setup file.

Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast