Page 76 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by yonkiman View Post
    I'm still a bit confused - I thought this would show up in Synaptic after I added the PPA ("sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev"), but I didn't see anything. Would you mind spelling out exactly what to type to get the repository and the alsa package? I'm not sure what to do with "linux-alsa-driver-modules-`uname -r` (including the -nn-{generic,server}".
    At the console, enter the command 'uname -r'. You'll get something like 2.6.31-20-generic (probably). That's what goes after "linux-alsa-driver-modules-". It's probably easiest just to use aptitude or synaptic to get there. The backticks are a trick you can use from the command line (you'll want to look up what's going on there in a bash tutorial/documentation).

Quote Originally Posted by yonkiman View Post
    I'm even more confused: This will upgrade alsa to the latest 1.0.23, but the tools stay 1.0.20?
    The packages in the PPA are just Takashi Iwai's latest snapshot of the ALSA drivers, taken from here. The kernel modules do not rely on support from the ALSA userspace tools, as far as I know, so you can update one without touching the other; the PPA does not contain updated versions of the tools, just the modules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

So I tried the modified 1.0.23 upgrade script (twice).. and then I tried the PPA (couldn't get that to work), so then I went the old-fashioned route of downloading the tarballs and compiling, per http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...ic-koala-9-10/

cat /proc/asound/version still shows
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.
    Has anyone gotten it to report 1.0.23?

Looking to make sure the binaries were what I compiled I'm suspcisious that alsa looks old (thos just a wrapper script)
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35445 2010-04-21 22:03 /usr/sbin/alsaconf*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5553 2009-10-11 18:07 /sbin/alsa*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 148188 2010-04-21 22:03 /usr/bin/alsamixer*
    hmm.. I have 2 copies of alsactl
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsactl
    /sbin/alsactl
    but the older one reports 1.0.20.. so I'm still not sure where the 1.0.22.1 is still lingering..

I'm stumped..

Beans

Just wanted to say thank you so much, not only did I get my sound back but things are working so much better! Upgraded from 1.0.20.* (Mint 8 LXDE) to 1.0.22.1 on an HP G61-420SO. Solved the very low volume on the internal mic as well I might add for anyone googling it. I'm not sure whether I dare use suspend again though hehe.

Beans

Thank you so much, OP! After probably 30 minutes of tinkering, a bit of googling, and some elbow grease, I successfully acquired sound through both my speakers and headphone jack on an ASUS G50Vt; No easy feat! Good luck to everyone else, and thanks again!

Beans

after reinstalling mint8 and running the upgrade script (success) but no sound. Worse, if I boot up while my usb headset is plugged in it hangs with

soft lockup cpu#0 stuck for 61secs

over and over.

Unplug headset and machine boots normally. after normal boot I start ryhtmbox there is no sound and pulse volume control shows no application playing. Plug headset in and everything locks up. Have to reboot.

Beans

Hi,

I change the alsa version to 1.0.23 in the shell script and it works fine !

Mother board : ASUS P7P55D deluxe
    Sound card chipset : VIA VT2020 10 channel High Definition

Thank you a lot soundcheck !

Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by syrus31 View Post
    Hi,

I change the alsa version to 1.0.23 in the shell script and it works fine !

Mother board : ASUS P7P55D deluxe
    Sound card chipset : VIA VT2020 10 channel High Definition

Thank you a lot soundcheck !

Enjoy.
    not working for me
    >cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.
    Compiled on Mar 25 2010 for kernel 2.6.31-21-generic (SMP).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
    not working for me
    I had the same problem. I'm not sure exactly what I did that finally worked; I tried a lot of things including:
    • uninstalled the new alsa using the upgrade script ("-r" option, I believe),
    • uninstalled the original alsa using synaptic,
    • reinstalled alsa using the script,
    • other similar flailing about.

In the end it worked. First I got 1.0.22.1 as you did. I flailed around. Then I got 1.0.23 but no sound. I flailed some more. Then I got 1.0.23 with sound.

Probably not the most helpful post you'll get; just think of it as encouragement to keep trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    I also run a USB 0404. SPDIF/Toslink should work if you route the traffic
    to plughw:1,1 (I havn't checked it out on 1.0.19 though)

I set the 0404 to 24/96 under Windows. Now I am feeding it with any material re-sampled to 24/96 through MPD.

The 0404USB will work in sterero only. No fancy features are supported.

Cheers
    Hi Soundcheck long time
    Are you still using this E-mu 0404 card ? It seems it stopped working in Alsa 1.0.20 ? I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it working again

Beans
    Hidden!

Ugh, 462mb of packages to upgrade a sound driver?

What a pile of junk this put on my computer, luckily I control-c'd in the middle. Hopefully -r will remove all that junk it did get on.

What a terrible implementation. Beware!!! Stay away!

Page 76 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast