Page 75 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    If you updated the kernel, you need to run the script with -i again. Also, it might help to make a log of it like suggested in the OP.
    I ran thru the process twice.. but still show 1.0.22.1 ... alsamixer shows nvidia sound when I hit F6, but aplay -l does not list my GT240.

Where does one get version info for alsamixer?

Logs are attached.

EDIT: oh duh.. it does say 1.0.23 in the alsamixer top line (I was trying to find a command line -version switch)... but aplay -l does not list my GT240, and "cat /proc/asound/version" shows 1.0.22.1, not .23.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zim2dive; April 20th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    You appear to have a local version of libavcodec which is taking precedence over the repo version.
    How can I fix that? Just uninstall my local version through Synaptic, then try again?
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    How can I fix that? Just uninstall my local version through Synaptic, then try again?
    It would be nice if you could remember how it got there. To find out if it's part of a .deb package:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -S /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.a
    More likely, you compiled source somewhere along the line and installed it. If you still have the source directory, you would run 'make uninstall' from it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...48/comments/97

I think we're doing it wrong, there's an alsa ppa that we can use to avoid compiling. Silly me, this could made me avoid downloading about 500MB in order to compile ALSA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Guess I'll try that next, since the download-and-compile thing didn't work for me.

I'm happy I didn't break my sound (yet!).
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans

Still no sound, either something is wrong with apt-get or the script messed up my system.
    I have since tried AlsaUpgrade-1.0.22.1-2.sh -r , but it didnt help.

Any suggestions what I can try?

I have included my original post below.

Quote Originally Posted by juiceguden View Post
    (In response to Temujins suggestion to run apt-get install libasound2-dev): Thanks, but your suggestion does not work, apt-get complaints about dependencies. Unfortunately the messages are in Swedish, so a copy and paste won't probably help you help me, but roughly translated it says:

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. The cause of this could be that you have requested an impossible situation or, if you are using the unstable edition, that some nescessary packages have not yet been created or moved out from "incoming". The following information could be of help for resolving the situation: 

The following packages have dependencies that are not satisfied:
      libasound2-dev: Dependent of: libasound2 (= 1.0.20-3ubuntu6) but 1.0.20-3ubuntu6.1 will be installed
    E: Broken package
    Any further tips?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you still have the change to re-install ubuntu Lucid, update it to the lastest packages and then use the alsa ppa repo, then you should go this way.
    At this point with custom kernels and other things you'd modified it's almost a game for anybody to try to give you a proper solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Hidalgo View Post
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...48/comments/97

I think we're doing it wrong, there's an alsa ppa that we can use to avoid compiling. Silly me, this could made me avoid downloading about 500MB in order to compile ALSA.
    Code:
    >sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.31
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.31
    I added the PPA and did an update.. what am I missing here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
    I added the PPA and did an update.. what am I missing here?
    That's not the complete package name; it will be linux-alsa-driver-modules-`uname -r` (including the -nn-{generic,server}). I'm actually trying the PPA now; we'll see how it goes.

UPDATE: There was a bit of finagling, as I believe the original alsa-modules package created an undetected conflict. Also, the tools are all back to 1.0.20 versions (so no F6 action in alsamixer, for instance). But the audio does work as it did before, and should be easier to upgrade.
    Last edited by paoleary; April 22nd, 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paoleary View Post
    That's not the complete package name; it will be linux-alsa-driver-modules-`uname -r` (including the -nn-{generic,server}).
    I'm still a bit confused - I thought this would show up in Synaptic after I added the PPA ("sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev"), but I didn't see anything. Would you mind spelling out exactly what to type to get the repository and the alsa package? I'm not sure what to do with "linux-alsa-driver-modules-`uname -r` (including the -nn-{generic,server}".

UPDATE: There was a bit of finagling, as I believe the original alsa-modules package created an undetected conflict. Also, the tools are all back to 1.0.20 versions (so no F6 action in alsamixer, for instance). But the audio does work as it did before, and should be easier to upgrade.
    I'm even more confused: This will upgrade alsa to the latest 1.0.23, but the tools stay 1.0.20?

I thought the ppa was supposed to be simpler than the script!

Page 75 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast