I have Ubuntu 8.10 just installed on a Lenovo T61. No sound whatsoever (tried with headphones and without). Ran the script to upgrade to alsa 1.0.19. Log files attached.
Very frustrating, as my laptop's sound is known to work, at least for some previous (recent) releases. First Linux install attempt in a few years (other than VMs). Would love to have Vista over Linux but this is obviously a show-stopper.
Attached log from the upgrade script (which was "successful"), alsa-info, and uxchecker -a output. Hopefully it's meaningful to someone who can help.
edit: hmm I'm getting errors trying to upload the attachments:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request POST /newattachment.php.
Reason: Error reading from remote server
Well, it was worth a try. Anyone seen this?
Last edited by Noobile; February 27th, 2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: attachments
Code:ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0' ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Last edited by Noobile; February 27th, 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Well the thing's very finicky but I managed to upload my files after a few attempts. Sorry for all the rambling replies.
Finally my microphone problems are solved with my "Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)" thanks a lot man for this script.
Thanks a bunch for this script. I have been searching the internet for the past week for solution to my sound woes in Ubuntu 8.10. Finally your script and alsa upgrade fixed the problem.
I don't know what any of this really means, but perhaps it's different from others' problems in that I'm not just getting silence, I'm actually getting errors".
TIA for any help.
So it turns out that my sound worked when logged in as root. Just had to add myself to the "audio" group (why oh why doesn't this happen automagically at install time) and now I have sound from speakers and earphones, and mic works from the jack. Integrated mic on the face of the laptop doesn't seem to work, or at least I can't find the right input to select in "Sound Recorder", but it's not that critical. Volume seems to be kind of low on both but I'll search for a separate fix.
Anyway, thanks for all your attentions. If anyone is following the thread with the same problem (sound only works as root) you need to edit /etc/group and make sure your username appears on the line starting with "audio:". If not, you can add yourself to the list of users at the end of the line, e.g.
The script has been running for about five hours now and nothing seems to be happening.
--Sat Feb 28 17:04:46 MST 2009----Alsa-Upgrade-Script-1.16 -----------------
- You'll be upgraded from 1.0.16.
kernel to 1.0.19.
- All script output is routed to /var/log/AlsaUpgradeRev-1.16-022809-17.04.log
- Run tail -f <logfile> in a seperate terminal to follow the upgrade
- Reboot your machine afterwards.
- Enjoy - meet you at ubuntuforums.org or diy-audio.com
Upgrade in progress..The process can take up to 15minutes.....Be patient!
That was from the log.david@david-ubuntu:~$ tail -f /var/log/AlsaUpgradeRev-1.16-022809-17.04.log
The following NEW packages will be installed:
build-essential docbook-xsl dpkg-dev g++ g++-4.2 gettext libavahi-client-dev
libavahi-common-dev libdbus-1-dev libglib2.0-dev libice-dev libncurses5-dev
libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpulse-dev libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libsm-dev libspeex-dev libstdc++6-4.2-dev libsysfs-dev libtimedate-perl
libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcb-xlib0-dev libxcb1-dev libxdmcp-dev libxt-dev
patch python-all python-all-dev python-dev python2.4 python2.4-dev
python2.4-minimal python2.5-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev
x11proto-kb-dev xmlto xtrans-dev
When it first started I got a notification that an update manager is running then nothing seemed to happen.