Page 55 of 124 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

there is a post here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/427670

that say to install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic and reboot , for karmic of course. and it worked for me. that and fiddling arround with system>>preferences>>>sound lets you pick sound devices and manipulate and turn on or off most of your sound aspects.

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley View Post
    In your audio program you want to specify it needs to use the 'iec958' output device (digital output). That might also be possible by fiddling with your ~/.asoundrc

There is some documentation here: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut
    Thanks for this link, it was quite useful , now I'm in a new stage:

I have audio but only Stereo....
    The thing that caught my attention is that my A/V Reciever (a Sony DTS capable system) won't recognize the type of stream coming in. It does sound, but only stereo.

I tried forcing mplayer to use 6 channels but still STEREO all over the place! Any ideas?

UPDATE: this is the output from amixer:
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
      Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Mono
      Mono: Playback [off]
    Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
      Mono: Playback [off]
    Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
      Mono: Playback [on]
    When I go to the alsamixer I see 3 SPDIF channels but the one that's actually the spdif optical output is the "SPDIF 1"

Thanks!
    Last edited by ifmusic; December 27th, 2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: more info...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Digital outputs are always in stereo only.
    This is a limitation of all digial I/O ports, only 2 channels are supported.
    So your problem is: You can either send a stereo signal of an encoded multichannel stream (ac3/dts) or live with stereo output.

But: There is a way to tell the Alsa system to upmix 2ch to 5.1/7.1 and encode them the very same time in ac3.
    You'll find it somewhere in the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Laryllan View Post
    Digital outputs are always in stereo only.
    This is a limitation of all digial I/O ports, only 2 channels are supported.
    So your problem is: You can either send a stereo signal of an encoded multichannel stream (ac3/dts) or live with stereo output.

But: There is a way to tell the Alsa system to upmix 2ch to 5.1/7.1 and encode them the very same time in ac3.
    You'll find it somewhere in the forums.
    What?!

Wait, you're saying that Digital outputs are always stereo, no matter driver, OS, audio track... always stereo???

When I play hiDef movies in Windows my Sony Sound System recognizes the incoming audio streams and says.. "DTS 5.1 3+2...PCM...,etc" in Linux, it reports nothing. I don't think the windows driver is doing some upmix, It should be doing some pass-through, that's what I actually need, right?

Thanks!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No, I'm saying that the datarate a digital connection is able to transmit isn't enough for multichannel PCM.
    If you want to transmit multichannel audio, you have to send a packed bitstream.

When playing back movies you have to ensure that the system uses the passthrough mode (the stream must not be tempered with in any way).
    On the other hand when playing plain music, you have to make sure the audio output is upmixed and packed into a stream (or let your receiver do it). I know this possible but didn't set it up myself yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello soundcheck,

Thank you so much for creating this how to thread and the Alsa upgrade script! It was very straight forward and simple to do. Updating Alsa with your script corrected a problem for me that to the best of my knowledge was created by what I believe to be a Ubuntu 9.04 update for Alsa put out at the end of November that would no longer allow me to record just the line input of my sound card.

If you are curious, you can read the details of this issue on my thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8566677

GiveLove

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I could use some help.

I used to run ubuntu on my desktop and loved it. So I turned my friend over to it and we are trying to get it running and I can not get the sound to work on his macbook.

I downloaded the newest version on the first post version number 1.0.21.4

This is what I am doing from the first post it looks like I have to type to get into my directory that I downloaded the file to. thats in:
    cd /home/*myusername*/Desktop

it then goes to my directory for the desktop

Now I copy and past the test from the first post and it says its running the update tool and this will take less than 15 min.

then after like 5 seconds it comes back up to where I can type in my terminal again.

So I restart like it tells me to and then still nosound... I am really new and I have read the last couple pages on this thread to see if anything has changed and I can't see where it has, If some one could help me please it would be greatly appriciated he really wants to use ubuntu but not if hes gana have problems with the sound lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello AaronsDarts,

I'm no expert myself, even though I've been using Linux for many years now. But I suggest you read through soundcheck's instructions thoroughly. I had to do so a few times myself to absorb all the information, and picked up a few things I missed the first time through.

Start by following the instructions under "Test and Troubleshooting" in soundcheck's first post. This will get you started, to find out what the issue is.

GiveLove

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yea still nothing after running all of those commands and most of them came back as Access Denied, or Unknown Command. But I got no where.

Beans

ALSA released another small update to alsa-driver. Changes: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...0.22_v1.0.22.1
    Update the script accordingly before you run it:
    Code:
    * alsa-driver-1.0.22.1
    * alsa-lib-1.0.22
    * alsa-utils-1.0.22
    * alsa-tools-1.0.22
    * alsa-firmware-1.0.20
    * alsa-plugins-1.0.22
    * alsa-oss-1.0.17

Page 55 of 124 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast