Page 31 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by heluani View Post
    My regular post every few months

Macbook Air 2.1
    Alsa 1.0.20
    No audio from internal speaker, only audio from headphones.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...58&postcount=9

Have you ever issued a mail to the alsa mailing list?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Do you still have any problems after a reboot?

"alsa" IMO should not be used as a standalone command to restart alsa.
    Yes, same result to alsa -L after reboot.

Beans

Hi
    My fiancee has a Dell Vostro A860 (T2410) laptop. They sell this model with Ubuntu 8.04 in my country. They have it with Vista too but she likes Ubuntu, so
    After an update the sound stopped working completely. No login sound, no headphones, no built-in speaker. The speaker applet on the taskbar shows an icon of a speaker crossed by a red line. If I click it it says: "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices not found".
    Now, I'm a noob myself but I managed to find these things:

- the sound is ok if I load a previous kernel at boot (2.6.24-22). Right now the system is updated to 2.6.24-24. We hoped kernel updates would solve this problem, but they didn't.
    - the onboard soundcard is a "Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio". "lspci -v" gives me this info related to the audio card:
    Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02) 
    	Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 029a 
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7 
    	Memory at f6dfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] 
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    I ran soundcheck's script, which updated the ALSA driver, but there is no change. I am begining to lose hope this problem can really be solved. At least not by a regular user like myself or my fiancee. I can work with the terminal but I am afraid to just try lots of commands just to see what happens. I could not be able to fix things by myself if I screw up and I'm not looking forward to the thought of losing GDM as a result of a purge/reinstall of a package.
    That's why I'm asking you guys for help. Can someone please offer any advice? Is there something to be done, soundcheck?
    Being a total noob, I'm figuring this card is supported by ALSA since it works on a different kernel, though. What should I do?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Blendee; June 10th, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: corrected some typos

Beans
    Hidden!

I had been successfully using this script with Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 to obtain sound support on an Acer Aspire 8930 (plus a few other tweaks mentioned in another thread), but it appears to not work with kernel version 2.6.28-12. I only made one attempt, so the cause may be elsewhere, but reverting to 2.6.28-11 resolved the problem.

In other matters, can anyone explain why, if upgrading the version of Alsa shipped with 8.10 (1.0.16 I think) to 1.0.18 via this script would fix things, then why don't the 9.04 kernels that come with 1.0.18 work "out of the box?" I was surprised to see that building Alsa from source was still necessary. Are there significant compile time options set differently by this build script compared to the stock Ubuntu build? (I'd like to understand this and supply feedback to the Ubuntu devs so I can eventually migrate back to using the stock builds.)

Lastly, it would be great if someone could add a little bit more glue to this script to make it work as a DKMS module, which would result in the Alsa driver getting automatically rebuilt whenever a new kernel was installed. I looked over the DKMS documentation, and while not trivial, it should be pretty simple for anyone who has setup a DKMS module before.

-Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Strange. Just upgraded. Works fine, but...
    I have sound in rhythmbox, vlc, nautilus (you know when you hold your mouse-pointer over a soundfile...), mplayer, aplay test, audacity... Well kind of everything seems to work.
    That is, except for flash sound from both firefox and opera. Anyone experience the same? Or have an idea how to fix it?
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tmetro View Post
    In other matters, can anyone explain why, if upgrading the version of Alsa shipped with 8.10 (1.0.16 I think) to 1.0.18 via this script would fix things, then why don't the 9.04 kernels that come with 1.0.18 work "out of the box?" I was surprised to see that building Alsa from source was still necessary. Are there significant compile time options set differently by this build script compared to the stock Ubuntu build? (I'd like to understand this and supply feedback to the Ubuntu devs so I can eventually migrate back to using the stock builds.)

Lastly, it would be great if someone could add a little bit more glue to this script to make it work as a DKMS module, which would result in the Alsa driver getting automatically rebuilt whenever a new kernel was installed. I looked over the DKMS documentation, and while not trivial, it should be pretty simple for anyone who has setup a DKMS module before.

-Tom

No there are no specific compile options, I'd guess. I just compile all drivers and options. There might be sometimes a small difference in Alsa versions e.g. 1.0.18 vs 1.0.18a

I looked into checkinstall and dkms. To run all things automatically is not that easy as it might seems.

The best thing would be if the Ubuntu maintainers would just drop in a new driver snapshot (the drivers are the main problem) once in a while. This can't be so difficult. I'd presume that the Alsa folks would even support this. Unfortunately Ubuntu still doesn't put "sound" on its priority list.

Perhaps I could check if a driver upgrade only could improve things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not after first reboot. But after third reboot sound on flash came back. Everything is perfect. If anyone experiences problems with flash after upgrading, do a couple more reboots before you start crying like me. It might just work.
    (I did have to change the sound output settings in vlc to get that to work correctly).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, this might be long, but I'm going to tell you the story of my problem here, to see if you could help me out.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite M45 S169, under the name of Amaterasu. It's an old but reliable computer that I absolutely love (If I talk bad about her, she might notices it, hehe). I was a Hardy user since the second that the distro came out, and I recently move myself to Jaunty, the second it was out as well, knowing that I might face some problems along the way.

And problems did came my way. Sound problems, as many others end up having. The point is that after a lot of things, like installing and unistalling the PulseAudio and it's features, and setting up the alsa-mixer and all, I end up in a point where I "had" sound.

That meant that I could hear music on RthythmBox (Amarok has never worked for me in Jaunty, not Amarok2, at least) and some times, even watch movies or see Youtube videos. But well, today an Upgrade Notification appeared and without doubt, I did it; it was supposed to upgraded the kernel, as well as the Linux Headers and Images. I upgraded, reboot and I had no sound at all. That kinda worried me, because I need at least music, you know?

Well, I followed then the instructions to upgrade to 1.0.20 (Stable), reboot and voila, had some sound, but just like before. Now, the problem with the kind of sound that I'm having right now is that several things can happen, depending on the first program that I use after turning on the computer. Something like this:

If RthythmBox: 100% of the time it works, but when I put it in pause, it might crash the sound and start this bell disturbing sound. If I resume the music, it would be back to normal. But it's almost certain that after turning RB, I'm not going to be able to watch videos on Youtube (Flash) or movies, either in Totem or VLC.

If Flash like Youtube or others: 75% might work. If it works, after a while of seeing videos and stuff, sound crash, almost inevitably. If this happens, then it would be the same as if it would crash with the VLC.

If VLC or Totem: 50% might or might now work. Sound would crash if it doesn't work and that means that I wouldn't be able to watch videos on flash. But, as I said before, the RB would work the same.

So, basically, the RB always works, and I don't know why. I love Jaunty, so I don't want to pass myself over to Hardy again, where this work all the time. I have upgraded, as I said, the driver, I have everything in Sound Preferences with ATI IXP (ALSA) and I have no PulseAudio at all. Any ideas of what I could do for having a better sound situation, of the type of being able to hear some music, stop it, then watch a movie, stop it, watch some Youtube videos, stop it, and go back to hear music again?

Here's my info:

aplay
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: Modem [ATI IXP Modem], device 0: ATI IXP MC97 [ATI IXP MC97]
    Subdevices: 0/1

lspci
    00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff10
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
    Memory at c0003400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: ATI IXP AC97 controller
    Kernel modules: snd-atiixp
    Here's my info:

Anything else you would need, just don't doubt to ask it,

P.S: Curiously enough, I installed this game called BurgerSpace, that's kinda funny and all. In Hardy, could play it with sound at all. Now, on Jaunty, right now, it says "Sound device not available". I don't have sound in other games, full screen or not, excepting with the pSX that works perfectly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    I looked into checkinstall and dkms. To run all things automatically is not that easy as it might seems.
    If you want to give it a shot, I'll pitch in and try and find solutions if you get stuck.

The best thing would be if the Ubuntu maintainers would just drop in a new driver snapshot once in a while. This can't be so difficult.
    I presume they don't do this for the same reason they don't include the very latest version of any package - so the software can work its way through the system while getting tested.

Of course if your hardware isn't supported at all by the current version, taking a risk with potentially buggy software is a welcome alternative.

What they could do is build the newer versions in a backport fashion for the current stable kernels, and make them available in an alternate PPA. Then those of us with newer hardware that need the bleeding edge drivers can add the PPA to our sources.list.

Though creating a package that rebuilds the latest drivers via DKMS would theoretically require less ongoing effort. But I suppose the uploads to the PPA could be automated as well.

-Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok, tried to follow some instructions of this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=365342&page=2, for ATI IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller, considering that after all, that's my sound card.

Did this:

#get rid of snd-atiixp-modem
    blacklist snd-atiixp-modem

rather than just:

#get rid of snd-atiixp-modem
    snd-atiixp-modem
    And this:

$ sudo rmmod snd-atiixp-modem
    and this:

add to /etc/modprobe.d/options the line(s)

# for soundchip snd_atiixp
    options snd-atiixp ac97_codec=0
    After all those things, I reboot. Opened a video on VLC it worked. Then, opened something in Youtube, it worked. Opened RB, it worked. But when I placed it on hold, there was this bells sound. Close it, the bells sound dissapear. But Youtube, and VLC didn't work at all.

Actually I'm not so much into time right now (should be working), but as soon as possible, I'm going to open youtube and VLC over and over again to see if sound would crash without opening RB now.

ED:

I have been opening firefox and VLC one after the other, closing them along the way. And sound hasn't crashed yet. So I suppose that as long as I don't open RB, everything should be fine. But if I open a game like BurgerSpace (love it for testing sound problems), says still that there's no sound device available.

ED2:

Well, I just reboot the computer because I was hearing some music and wanted to watch some videos on Youtube. And Oh Grand Surprise, from starters, I didn't have any sound, without opening other programs. So, problems really persist, and big time.
    Last edited by Mandala 13; June 11th, 2009 at 07:17 PM.

Page 31 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast