Page 15 of 124 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Hi - trying to upgrade to the latest Alsa, to get support for the Creative Emu 0404. The website says I should use this command at the crucial stage:

Code:
    ./configure --with-cards=emu10k1 --with-sequencer=yes ; make ; make install
    Right at the end of the process I get this:

Code:
    cp snd-hwdep.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rawmidi.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore
    cp: cannot stat `snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-rawmidi.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd.ko': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [modules_install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    make: *** [install-modules] Error 1
    Does anyone have any ideas? Can I run this script with the emu10k1 option at all?

Thanks a lot

Wilf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tales of the Lost Mic®

After upgrade from 8.04, my mic input was broken. I installed this script but to no avail. I finally found a fix for it here, and I recommend it to anyone who has sound but can't get mic capture to work.
    Last edited by Ian Clark; April 4th, 2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: problem fixed now

Beans

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I just upgraded my 8.10 mythbuntu box and completely lost the sound. I feared a long drawn out process of getting alsa working again. But after 20 minutes of googling and some despair on my part as to lack of information, I stumbled across your post.

Your script works like a charm. Excellent work.

Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Suave View Post
    Hi - trying to upgrade to the latest Alsa, to get support for the Creative Emu 0404. The website says I should use this command at the crucial stage:

Code:
    ./configure --with-cards=emu10k1 --with-sequencer=yes ; make ; make install
    Right at the end of the process I get this:

Code:
    cp snd-hwdep.ko snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rawmidi.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/kernel/sound/acore
    cp: cannot stat `snd-hwdep.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-rawmidi.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `snd.ko': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [modules_install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    make: *** [install-modules] Error 1
    Does anyone have any ideas? Can I run this script with the emu10k1 option at all?

Thanks a lot

Wilf
    Run my script. And everything should be fine. emu10k1 will be covered

Anyhow -- your above emu10k1 config will also work. But you'll loose your internal sound if you compile it as you do above. You should at least add "hda-intel" . That's why I recommend to compile "all". It won't hurt! And doesn't matter what you plug in it'll work as long as Alsa supports it

Your problem should be a different one though:

Install the kernel-headers (done by the script)

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

You than can try run the configure with option "--with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`"

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My god, it worked! Soundcheck, thank you so much for the script and the tips. After some other upgrade the sound had quit completely and I was going nuts looking for a solution. After running your script my sound has returned. FWIW, my initial installation indicated the on-board sound device as ALC888. After running your script the device is now recognised as ALC1200, which is what is specified in the MB manufacturer's specifications.

After running your script I had sound and could play .mp3 and .wav files but no streaming audio off of the 'net. I solved that by setting the System/Preferences/Sound preferences from Autodetect to ALSA and restarting Firefox. Thanks to "bcooperb" in the thread "HELP! Music with Rhythmbox Music Player but not on Firefox???" for the tip.

My system:
    MB - Asus M3A78-T, 0802 bios
    CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 810, 3.18 GHz
    RAM - 2 GB Crucial PC8500
    On-board Video - ATI Radeon HD 3300
    On-board Audio - ATI RS780 Azalia / ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) / ALC1200
    OS - ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In reply to my previous post regarding having to reload alsa all the time when using the S/PDIF surround - I've installed the -snap version and EVERYTHING works perfectly now!!! Didn't have to change anything at all... just updated alsa with your script and reinstalled the computer.

Thank you!

Ant tham again - after the second reboot I am back down to the same problem... after reboot I only have stereo, running 5.1 movies gives me no sound. Even my amplifier shows that there is no sound info recieving. Running alsa force-reload gives normal working system...

But after every second reboot I need to rerun it.
    Last edited by NiksaVel; April 4th, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

I thought if i make the upgrade i wouldnt have problem with the sound playing in speakers and headphones at the same time...but i still have the problem....what can i do so i wont have sound in speakers and just in headphones?
    Maybe i did something wrong when installing the upgrade? i set all other options on ALSA in sound preferences except the default mixer bla bla.I put that one on HDA (alsa mixer). So whats the problem that i still hear sound in headphones and speakers too? someone please help me this is the secound week im trying to fix the problem and searching on the net for solutions
    Last edited by D3M3NTU; April 5th, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

strange error

I've installed the script and successfully upgraded ALSA. Thanks bigtime for that

Even so, running "amixer set 'Capture' cap" was the only way to get the mic detected (GUI methods didn't work) in other apps, but Ekiga still will not detect it.

1. Skype detects the mic, as does Audacity and Voicerecorder
    (had to run "amixer set 'Capture' cap" to get this running)
    2. When running Ekiga in terminal, the following error is given:
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2202snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.default
    Segmentation fault
    3. Though Skype detects the mic, it still gives a similar error in terminal:
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2202snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
    4. pulseaudio and jackd are not installed

Any ideas on what this error means or how to fix it?

Beans

I WANT A FU****G SOLUTION IM GETTING DESPERATE....i use UBUNTU for movies music and navigating on the net....and programing somethimes...but if i cant use to listen to music and movies with HEADPHONES in a word ubuntu SUCKS....what king of OS is this and the headphones dont work as they should? im getting mad now its almost 2 weeks and still no resolve on my problem im getting MAD and im startin to F ubuntu in a matter of days.

PLeaSE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS F PROBLEM..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by D3M3NTU View Post
    I WANT A FU****G SOLUTION IM GETTING DESPERATE....i use UBUNTU for movies music and navigating on the net....and programing somethimes...but if i cant use to listen to music and movies with HEADPHONES in a word ubuntu SUCKS....what king of OS is this and the headphones dont work as they should? im getting mad now its almost 2 weeks and still no resolve on my problem im getting MAD and im startin to F ubuntu in a matter of days.

PLeaSE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS F PROBLEM..
    Maybe you should go use Windows. You apparently don't understand what Linux is all about. It's certainly not for everybody.
    -Jason

Page 15 of 124 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast