thanks, worked for me too, but NOT before i reinstalled alsa-base:
last four steps as given:
4. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d
5. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -c
6. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -i
7. sudo shutdown -r 0
then re-install alsa, and reboot again:
8. sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
9. sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop
10. sudo shutdown -r 0
would be nice to understand why...
i did this twice, giving me back sound.
in the second instance, after the last kernel upgrade (to 2.6.32-24 of 10.04 64-bit), no
sound cards were being recognised at all, which seems worth reporting.
sony vaio, intel hda sound