Thread: Xorg overuses CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Xorg overuses CPU

Hi,

I am relatively completely new to Linux. I mean I've tinkered a couple of distro. Way back when.I still have not really gotten around to actually using Ubuntu as much as I would like though, so please bare with me if this is completely wrong section to post this, or if I dont understand the terminology/concepts.

Anyhow, yesterday I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.10. I've had 8.04 installed since around November last year, but there where sound static issues and resolution wouldn't increase past 800 x 600, and wireless didnt work.

I did a couple of google searches and basically got the gist of it that all these were fixed in 8.10. So I went to Amazon and ordered the CD from Canonical, though I later found you cant use the LiveCD to upgrade...

So, I downloaded the AltInstaller and transferred it to my computer. I mounted it as a CD in Ubuntu. It installed I didnt see any errors. I restarted. This indeed did fix my sound, my resolution, and the wireless.

Only problem now is that Ubuntu 8.10 goes along creepingly slower compared to 8.04. I looked at the PerfMon and it seems that Xorg randomly jumps to 50% to 100% on either CPU1 or CPU2.

So that creates and immense slowdown in the system. Has anybody else experienced this or know a solution to this?

Thanks.
    PS. Also, using 8.10 from the LiveCD was also slow before installation.

System Specs:
    Compaq Laptop
    Model: CQ50-107NR

1.90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 Dual-Core Processor
    2048 MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Xorg overuses CPU

Anyone...? Help?