Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell keeps delaying my laptop delivery, I'm thinking about going to system76

Beans

Dell keeps delaying my laptop delivery, I'm thinking about going to system76

I'd like to hear from some people who have purchased system76 laptops. Does it typically work out of the box? What have been your support experiences?

I plan on using my laptop to learn software and web development, drawing with my old wacom tablet on Gimp, learning blender, and fiddling around with any 2D animation, audio and video editing software that's out there.

Also playing diablo and starcraft on winex and linux games like freedroid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dell keeps delaying my laptop delivery, I'm thinking about going to system76

System 76 is a great company.

The support on these forums is fantastic. All questions I have had are answered within a few hours. The driver updates are great and if you just saw my thread on Jaunty support it seems like updated versions of Ubuntu are a near seamless transition.

You might want to go with one of the machines that has Nvidia over the Intel card if you are into gaming and graphic design. There are just a lot of open source graphic issues with Intel it seems. Word is that Jaunty may be solving those problems, but Nvidia works now. I'm running an Intel integrated card and getting Diablo and WoW have been less than simplistic.

Out of the box there were no problems for me. When I did encounter issues it was due to my own ignorance of Ubuntu and System 76 helped me via the forums.

You should buy one. Scratch that..... buy two.
    Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it

Beans

Re: Dell keeps delaying my laptop delivery, I'm thinking about going to system76

I did just a smidgen of internet research (or as I like to call it webernet-stuff-looking-ination for short ) and I had a look at the forums and the system76 site and I think I'll go for it.

It can't be worse than Dell.

I have a good feeling about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I agree with EnderEcho. I have purchased two laptops from System76 and have been completely satisfied with the company. I was most impressed with their customer support. I contacted them via e-mail with questions prior to my purchase. They answered within 48 hours. Even over a weekend.

I have also been very impressed with the quality of the laptops I ordered. Everything "just worked" I think you will be very satisfied.

I am not a Dell Basher, but if you read the Dell sub-forum of this site, I think you will see a higher percentage of people dissatisfied with their purchases.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I totally agree: go with an Nvidia card, it will blow your brains out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another note, Starcraft and Diablo 1 and 2 both work out of the box with wine, No regedit tweeking.

Blender is a Great program, I'm really excited to see where to blender game engine goes. Just think, games that are supported on every platform!

Also go with an nvidia card. More powerful and better support. No problems for me on a Pangolin Performance.

Beans

I just got a Pangolin at christmas not really intending to use it for gaming, but there are a ton of great games out in the repositories and the Pangolin runs them well.

System76 will not do you wrong, and the Pangolin is an awesome laptop.

Beans

I got a Pangolin last fall and I've been very happy with it. The support is great, and everything works (note: if you have a home file server, use NFS instead of Samba to connect to it...)

Note that this machine runs WoW splendidly thru WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I recommend System76 ... I'm a UNIX programmer (20 years) that has never liked using Windows ... my first venture in Linux was a System76 laptop 6 months ago ... the Support form Carl and Tom have been awesome, the System76 knowledge base and activity on the Ubuntu forms can not be beat by Dell or anybody else.

Beans

Smile Re: Dell keeps delaying my laptop delivery, I'm thinking about going to system76

I'm definitely getting one now. Thanks everybody for letting me know what you think of System76. They looked good, but I wanted to know if they were more than just a pretty site on the internet, and that people were happy with their products.

I'm going to wait until the beginning of next month. (for payday ) Then I'm getting a Pangolin Performance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast