Thread: OpenLDAP + Samba DC and fileserver

Beans

OpenLDAP + Samba DC and fileserver

Hi!

I setup my server using the instructions at the following URL...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640760
    Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller

This seems to work fairly well but I am in permission hell with NFS. Instead of fixing this, I thought I would just share this out using samba.

The only problem is that it seems like openldap does not have a 'cn=config' in the directory tree. I was trying to follow the instructions on the wiki here...

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverg...amba-ldap.html

and get...

ldapadd -x -D cn=admin,cn=config -W -f /tmp/ldif_output/cn\=config/cn\=schema/cn\=\{12\}samba.ldif
    Enter LDAP Password:
    ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

I am new to openldap, but I have a feeling that it is using the old style slapd.conf file instead of storing the configuration in the directory tree. But again, I'm new to this so I don't know for sure.

I am running...

slapd 2.4.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.1 OpenLDAP server (slapd)

But it seems like the latest in the ubuntu repo is 2.4.9, which is what I'm running.

Just seeing what's going on and how I can do this. *ULTIMATELY*, my goal is to have my fileserver box (which is different than the openldap / 'dc' box) serve up my files with samba and use domain authentication.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: OpenLDAP + Samba DC and fileserver

You should read the "Official Howto" at the Samba web site. They also have a howto specific to Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Herman

Beans

Re: OpenLDAP + Samba DC and fileserver

Thanks; I will check it out. Official sites always scare me because there's usually a lot to read. I admit that I'm a little lazy when it comes to documentation...that's usually why I just do the howto's.

But I will check it out.

Thanks!