Hi everyone,
I bought a Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000. This headset mounts a X-F1 card simulating a 7.1 multichannel audio. For testing surround capabilities i found a wav file that, if needed, can been downloaded here; I have played this file in windows and all 8 directions are audible. In kubuntu 8.10 it's not so and I can hear only front left and front right channels (even if they seem side left and side right, respectively).

For what written in various posts ubuntu should be able to work with 5.1 audio but I haven't found a tutorial for a usb device like mine.

Probably I need to edit .asoundrc file for enabling 5.1 but I don't know how.

This is the output of the command aplay -L:

Code:
giuseppe@kubuntu:~$ aplay -L                                                      
default:CARD=SB                                                                   
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708B Analog                                                    
    Default Audio Device                                                          
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                               
    Front speakers                                                                
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers                                
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers                     
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers                        
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers             
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers          
hdmi:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                                
    HDA ATI SB                                                                    
    HDMI Audio Output                                                             
null                                                                              
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)             
front:CARD=HDMI                                                                   
    HDA ATI HDMI                                                                  
    Front speakers                                                                
surround40:CARD=HDMI                                                              
    HDA ATI HDMI                                                                  
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI