Thread: Enable 5.1 audio on Fatal1ty Usb Headset

Beans

Enable 5.1 audio on Fatal1ty Usb Headset

Hi everyone,
    I bought a Creative Fatal1ty HS-1000. This headset mounts a X-F1 card simulating a 7.1 multichannel audio. For testing surround capabilities i found a wav file that, if needed, can been downloaded here; I have played this file in windows and all 8 directions are audible. In kubuntu 8.10 it's not so and I can hear only front left and front right channels (even if they seem side left and side right, respectively).

For what written in various posts ubuntu should be able to work with 5.1 audio but I haven't found a tutorial for a usb device like mine.

Probably I need to edit .asoundrc file for enabling 5.1 but I don't know how.

This is the output of the command aplay -L:

Code:
    giuseppe@kubuntu:~$ aplay -L                                                      
    default:CARD=SB                                                                   
        HDA ATI SB, VT1708B Analog                                                    
        Default Audio Device                                                          
    front:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                               
        Front speakers                                                                
    surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers                                
    surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers                     
    surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers                        
    surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers             
    surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                          
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers          
    hdmi:CARD=SB,DEV=0                                                                
        HDA ATI SB                                                                    
        HDMI Audio Output                                                             
    null                                                                              
        Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)             
    front:CARD=HDMI                                                                   
        HDA ATI HDMI                                                                  
        Front speakers                                                                
    surround40:CARD=HDMI                                                              
        HDA ATI HDMI                                                                  
    surround41:CARD=HDMI
        HDA ATI HDMI
    surround50:CARD=HDMI
        HDA ATI HDMI
    surround51:CARD=HDMI
        HDA ATI HDMI
    surround71:CARD=HDMI
        HDA ATI HDMI
    default:CARD=Headset
        Creative USB Headset, USB Audio
        Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
        Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    surround41:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    surround50:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    surround51:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    surround71:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
    iec958:CARD=Headset,DEV=0
        IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Enable 5.1 audio on Fatal1ty Usb Headset

I'm testing some commands found googling;

1)
    Code:
    speaker-test -D plughw:2,0 -c 6 -l 1 -t wav
    I can hear voice in front left and front right while in remaining positions only noise;

2)
    Code:
    aplay -D plughw:2,0 8_Channel_ID.wav
    (you can download 8_Channel_ID.wav from my first post)

in this case front left and front right is reproduced while the other channels not (mute, no noise)

3) As written in SurroundSound in alsa wiki:

surround51 and surround40 are the generic PCM definitions for 6 (aka 5.1) and 4 (aka 4.0) channel analog outputs. When the ALSA driver supports 5.1 or 4.0 analog output, the corresponding configuration file for ALSA-lib is transparently provided and includes the definition of surround51 and/or surround40. The usage is very simple. Just pass surround51 or surround40 as the PCM name...

aplay -D surround51 foo.wav
    but if I run

Code:
    aplay -D surround51 8_Channel_ID.wav
    audio is played from spekars connected to motherboard audio. Which device should I use?

Cheers

Beans

up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I suggest disabling onboard audio card, or create alias for surround51 (usb Xfi) in ALSA configs