Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ati Radeon X550 - community drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ati Radeon X550 - community drivers?

Hi. I have an Ati Radeon X550 (512MB RAM) graphics card and, as you may or may not know, the official Ati drivers suck (in a metaphorical way). What I'm having most problems with is video: I can't get video acceleration for the life of me. Basically, xvimagesink doesn't work, only ximagesink does. Watching Flash videos on websites uses 100% CPU even though hardware acceleration is enabled in Flash (disabling it makes no difference whatsoever). Watching videos with slightly bigger resolution again uses 100% CPU and is choppy.

So, what I want to try, is to use the Ati community drivers. What I don't know is how to install / activate them. If I simply deactivate the official driver in System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers? Or do I have to also install the community drivers afterwards?

Thanks
    [ Blog # A Programmer's Ride ]
    Linux: it really whips the penguin's butt.

Beans

Re: Ati Radeon X550 - community drivers?

Call this a warning...BE CAREFUL!!! I have and ATI card on the computer I run Ubuntu on and when I tried to install those drivers...at it did was crash my video drivers. I had no choice but to reinstall my OS. So be warned...

Beans

The open source drivers are installed by default. When you remove fglrx Ubuntu should automatically revert to using those drivers. Keep in mind that while these drivers will offer 2d/3d support for your particular card, they are only opengl1.3 and are on a good day half as fast as fglrx. Movie watching and similar should be fine however.

Beans
    Distro

I came across this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

So, after removing fglrx and using the opensource drivers, and after tweaking a bit xorg.conf, my first impressions are that it is much faster. Xvimagesink now works, so videos play a bit better (though really hi-res videos are still choppy -- I just downloaded an "HD" trailer from gametrailers.com and played it and after the first 20-30 seconds it became unwatchable). I have a feeling Compiz works faster, too (I didn't use it before because I felt it was too slow).

Flash videos are still horrendously slow. I have Gnash installed, but for some reason the "Manage Content Plug-ins" option in Firefox under Tools is disabled (grayed-out) so I can't try it .

Beans

HD videos will chew up your CPU. I think fglrx can accelerate HD content on some cards, but the open source drivers lack this feature. My laptop (2GHz Sempron , 200M IGP w/ radeon driver) can play 720p movies rather well, but the CPU is the one that does all the work.

Beans
    Distro

I have an Intel Pentium DualCore 2.80 Ghz but it still doesn't cope with the 720p movies from gametrailers.com. Oh well, I can do without those, but the super slow Flash plugin still bugs me. And Gnash doesn't work with anything -- not even YouTube. Damn you Ati for not making proper drivers for my card!

Beans

What player are you using? I always found mplayer the best with its caching feature, specially when viewing large video files online. As for flash, try uninstalling/re-installing the plugin.
    Last edited by Melcar; January 20th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

Tormod Volden packages the most recent xorg-ati drivers for Ubuntu.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/tormodvolde...org-video-ati/

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgOnTheEdge

Enabling EXA will improve video playback.

Greetings,
    Steven

Beans
    Distro

I'm using Ubuntu's default, Totem. But, I find that Totem (Xine) is a lot better than GStreamer. No idea why, but it just works a lot better, videos aren't choppy at all. Also, I did try reinstalling the flash plugin, still painfully slow.

steefjeqv: thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to stick with the stable drivers for now. And yes, I did enable EXA

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

Another thing which may improve video performance is using "Textured Video".

You'll have to edit the config file of .xine in your home folder.

# video display method preference
    # { Any Overlay Textured Video }, default: 0
    video.device.xv_preferred_method:Textured Video

# Xv port number
    # numeric, default: 0
    video.device.xv_port:yourtexturedportnumber

You can find your Xv port base number by using your terminal with xvinfo.

Greetings,
    Steven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast