Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama inauguration - how to watch from Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Obama inauguration - how to watch from Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    I really fail to see why the crashy proprietary plugin is the solution it seems everyone wants to use
    I don't see what difference it makes what plugin somebody uses, as long as it works for them. If Moonlight works for you, great; if Flash works for somebody else, great; if Gnash or swfdec work for somebody else; great.

I'm sure many appreciate the post, though. Cheers.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mc4100 View Post
    Hulu's stream is working fine here in the UK
    Apparently this stream is available outside the US (without a proxy), according to a few reports I've heard.

directhex: I don't think anyone really likes Flash, but people are also skeptical about new and untested protocols that don't necessarily promise to be any better/different. To me, that's a legitimate hesitance that has nothing to do with other arguments about Novell/the End-of-the-World.

In any event, thanks to the MS and Mono folks who worked hard on getting this running at the last minute.
    Last edited by p_quarles; January 20th, 2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: speling
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If it wasn't Silverlight, this would be done with Flash... and I should not need to remind you guys that that would be a lot worse. (Where Moonlight, on the other hand, is a delightfully native piece of software that "just works", written by a group that actually knows what they are doing and is far less of a reverse-engineered hack than Gnash or Swfdec).

Of course, we all know that the art of "just embedding a video and letting the web browser handle the rest on its own" is long forgotten.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; January 20th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    In any event, thanks to the MS and Mono folks who worked hard on getting this running at the last minute.
    And just to clarify, it's working great here, on AMD64 Intrepid, with no proprietary anything - pure Moonlight w/ FFmpeg codecs
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, those debs work just fine. I simply added the line into my software sources and then using synaptic installed the packages. You will get a few warnings about a key and that they are not authorized.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Microsoft, THANK YOU!!

I can't believe it, microsoft engineers, working all nights to create a player version specially for linux!!

It indeed works without any problems on 64-bit intrepid, and the plugin installed with a single mouseclick. The official microsoft silverlight place now refers to the linux download!

KUDOS TO MICROSOFT.

ALL HAIL!!

Beans
    Hidden!

http://blog.atrexis.com/index.cfm/20...ight-Streaming

This works, but other silverlight sites wont. Is this because they require silverlight 2.0?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    http://blog.atrexis.com/index.cfm/20...ight-Streaming

This works, but other silverlight sites wont. Is this because they require silverlight 2.0?
    Yes, but microsoft and novell engineers are working on that too

So they should work soon, too.

MS writes some of the code for 2.0 support themselves, but more importantly, they provide and ALL SPECS AND TEST DEMOS to the mono developers free of charge.

Anyway, see my post above to see what I think of microsoft rewriting obama player for us: HALLELUJAH! All hail Ballmer! (Or whoever decided to do this).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Watch it on the official page please. They are probably monitoring the amounts of linux vs windows users. If there are enough linux users that watch on the official stream, they will realise it's importtant to keep supporting linux in the future. Otherwise, this official support might just be a one time occasion.

So, please, watch it here: http://www.pic2009.org/page/content/linuxplayer (after you installed MS silverlight/moonlight offcourse )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast