Thread: "Downgrading" from 12.10 w/ no Previous Install. How to?

Beans

"Downgrading" from 12.10 w/ no Previous Install. How to?

(First-time Linux experience.)
    Over the weekend, I installed 12.10 on an old pc, and I'm afraid I've bitten off more than the pc can chew.
    Compaq desktop w/ 512MG/RAM, 1.7G processor.

The pc has an NVIDIA graphics card which has caused some problems. (I can't get the display size correct, so I don't have a launch menu bar. It's off to the left somewhere.)
    In researching fixes for the card issue, I've encountered some opinions that maybe Ubuntu 10 would fit this machine better. (Other opinions are welcome.)
    If I were to try Ubuntu 10, or another version, what is the best way to get there from my current install?
    (Note: Still have Windows installed, but wanting to dump it as soon as I get Linux running well.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: "Downgrading" from 12.10 w/ no Previous Install. How to?

You will have to reinstall.

With only 512MB RAM Ubuntu won't run, you need Lubuntu Alternate Install.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personally, I'd go to Ubuntu and download 12.04 for it's longer support. Not having to reinstall or upgrade for four years over close to a year is a lot nicer.
    Having said that, It's unclear if downgrading will actually solve the graphics problem.

You could give us more information on the set up. Like Graphics Card and CPU.
    At this point we know it's an nvidia card but not much else. Looky here for a little help on getting nvidia card working on Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Another thing is, Ubuntu is compatible with multiple desktops. Sometimes systems run better with alternative set ups.

You could try installing one or more.
    The most widely used would be
    Kubuntu
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu
    Gnome/Classic/Shell

The second post here might give you help in the department:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14101...-distributions
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No, forget about Ubuntu. You have already tried 12.10 without luck, and with 512 MB it does not surprise me.

Lubuntu is your best choice.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can downgrade, but it's going to be rough.

The process is the same as the upgrade I posted here except that:
    1. Swap "precise" for "quantal" and vice-versa everywhere.
    2. Pin release 12.04 instead of 12.10 (this is the key, as it will force all available packages to downgrade).

There will be complications, like packages that only or don't exist in 12.04 getting in the way of a dependency chain.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

personalty with you low sys spec i would recommend
    XFCE 4.10 Puppy Linux
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/latestxfcepuppy/
    try the live CD first,

Beans

Thanks, everybody for the replies. I have found many tips on this site and others which have given me many options to consider.
    I've got some good Windows chops, but this is my first foray into Linux-World.
    So far, Linux-world reminds me of an enormous salad bar. You can't just say, "how do I make a salad?" Every problem has many possible solutions. It's almost endlessly customizable, so it's up to me to experiment and discover.

I spent my free time yesterday reading and researching, so I haven't made any changes yet.
    First, I have some extra memory sticks somewhere, so I should be able to add another 256mg--maybe another 512. I'll have to check my parts box.
    My graphics card is a problem. It's an nVidia Vanta\VantaLT. Very old. Last driver update in 2005, I think. I'm going to try to live with it. Today, I'll just add the memory.
    Then, I'm thinking about Lubuntu or Xubuntu. It's pretty obvious that 12.10 will always be a hassle for this old 'puter.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This site has been very helpful so far. Thanks, again.

Beans

Can you try installing openbox on top of Ubuntu 12.10? Steps here -
    http://linuxg.net/install-openbox-on-ubuntu-12-10/

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOctopus View Post
    Thanks, everybody for the replies. I have found many tips on this site and others which have given me many options to consider.
    I've got some good Windows chops, but this is my first foray into Linux-World.
    So far, Linux-world reminds me of an enormous salad bar. You can't just say, "how do I make a salad?" Every problem has many possible solutions. It's almost endlessly customizable, so it's up to me to experiment and discover.

I spent my free time yesterday reading and researching, so I haven't made any changes yet.
    First, I have some extra memory sticks somewhere, so I should be able to add another 256mg--maybe another 512. I'll have to check my parts box.
    My graphics card is a problem. It's an nVidia Vanta\VantaLT. Very old. Last driver update in 2005, I think. I'm going to try to live with it. Today, I'll just add the memory.
    Then, I'm thinking about Lubuntu or Xubuntu. It's pretty obvious that 12.10 will always be a hassle for this old 'puter.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This site has been very helpful so far. Thanks, again.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 20th, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: removed link