Thread: How to share a game?

Beans

How to share a game?

I have two different users that would like to play the same game but have different login names and passwords but on the same computer. I am using wine 1.1.13 installed in ubuntu 8.10. How could I share this game properly? Thanks for your help in this situation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to share a game?

In theory (I say that because I have never tried it myself) you could use wineprefixcreate to make a .wine directory in a shared directory that both users have access to. Then you just need to configure that .wine directory so that none of its paths point to any particular user's home directory (like the "My Documents" path) and install the game there. Then you would have to manually create shortcuts under each user's login that they could use to launch the game.

However, technically the proper way to do it is to have each user install the game in their own .wine directory under their own login. It means you will actually have two different installs of the game, but each of them is guaranteed to work properly... assuming this is a game that already works in Wine.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Re: How to share a game?

Ok cool thanks That is what I will do. Thanks for you help. I really do appreciate it. I installed the game in both directories and it worked great with no problems. I wasn't sure if I could do that.
    Last edited by famous3warriors; January 21st, 2009 at 12:46 AM.