Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried www.allmyapps.com?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Has anyone tried www.allmyapps.com?

I just found it, I don't know how many of you know of it or how long it's been around.

http://www.allmyapps.com/

While I haven't let it install any apps for me yet I did click on an app to see what would happen. Well... it started the synaptic install process, asked for my password etc. I didn't give it my password and canceled the install, but it seems interesting.

Is it secure, is there a way for this site to sniff the password or install extra behind your back during the install of the app you chose?

I may seem paranoid but the web is not a safe place these days. Has anyone tried this and what do you think? Does it have a place, does it offer more than the normal Applications>add/remove interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Has anyone tried www.allmyapps.com?

Any time I click install my browser freezes and I get the "Stop Script" popup. lol.

But I did look at the script it's trying to run when installing an app. It seems to be a standard apt:// link. So it should be safe to use. But everything you can get there you can get in synaptic by your self
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Yes it's just a bunch of apt-url links. So it doesn't offer anything more than what's in the Ubuntu repos, because that's where it's pulling everything from. And yeah, something is wrong with their javascript because it keeps making Firefox popup the Unresponsive Scrip dialog.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know this is a dumb question to ask but... are you using no-script? The site works for me. I just haven't let it install yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like apt:// links as stated above.

http://appnr.com is a similar thing

Beans

So, basically, this site doesn't have anything more than you can get just by running synaptic, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Miller View Post
    So, basically, this site doesn't have anything more than you can get just by running synaptic, right?
    Pretty much, it's just a nice web-based front end to it with pretty logo's

Beans

Needs screenshots imo
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Looks like apt:// links as stated above.

http://appnr.com is a similar thing

After seeing appnr.com I'd say it offers the better package list. Though allmyapps.com offers better searching choices with the expandable tree / catagory view on the left.

Beans

Hello, I'm one of the 2 guys behind allmyapps. I'm glad someone posted about it here! Thank you for your comments:
    @SonicSteve -> the process of installation is completely secure as it is handled locally. It is your system who ask for your administrative password and apt that fetches and installs packages from the official ubuntu repositories. So there's absolutely no risks.
    @thegreenblob @FuturePilot -> this was definitely not intended :/ Can you tell me more about the webbrowser you're using and with which extensions ? I've never seen it happen so I wonder what causes it! If you have any ideas, please let me know...
    @Thirtysixway -> I cannot agree more! Screenshots are coming At first, I tried to have a script running in a WM to automatically take screenshots but the results were not to good so we will add them manually, it will be a lot nicer!
    @Joeb454 -> we're definitely is the same spirit as appnr. But I think we try to focus more on usability though... It is also true that, compared to appnr, we only make official ubuntu repositories available yet but we working on adding more repositories. The only thing is that we would like to come up with a method that is user-friendly and secure for the user to add these repositories. We'd like as much as possible to avoid him typing command lines. We'll see if you can work that out.. any idea is welcome by the way

Now to tell a bit more about the project (I should blog about it soon if I can find some time). The main idea is to innovate in terms of user interface to help newcomers (read: with a limited or inexistent linux knowledge) search and install new applications. This is why we took a special care in creating the categories (replicating the default application menu), implementing a search feature that is both powerful and relevant... We like to see it as a web powered synaptic on steroids! For more advanced users, it is also a fun way to explore the ubuntu repositories

Now, I agree the project is still very young (we've put the first version online only ~2 weeks ago) but we will be adding new features on a regular basis! I don't know if any of you will be at FOSDEM in february but I'll be there so, if you're interested, it could a good opportunity to discuss more about the project around a real life beer!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast