Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should I get a new OS?

Beans

Why should I get a new OS?

Topic. I am running Vista on my desktop and have no troubles with it. I run Ubuntu on my Netbook installed through Wubi. Besides reducing system requirements, why should I get another OS for a computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why should I get a new OS?

Who says you should? If you're happy with the way your computers run now there's no reason at all that you'd need to.

Beans

To satisfy your adventurous spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

its free?

or should be.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BoneSaw View Post
    its free?

or should be.
    It's only free if your time's worth nothing.

Beans

Eventially you will have to replace Vista. $100 or more. In the meantime you have to scan for viruses, adware, spyware and defrag. You will probably spend money on other applications to run with it. You have to deal with applications that don't work right and crash. You will not get support WHEN you need it for vista or the applications. You have to search all over the web for any related software that you need or want, and then many times you will find out that you only get a trail period before you must PAY for it. You can only (legally) use vista on one computer and that computer must be modern.

With linux its ALL free. No virus, adware spyware or defraging. Most applications work immediately. They rarely crash. Support is free, fast and mostly in one place for ALL related subjects. Most software is in one place and its ALWAYS FREE. You can put it on all of your computers, even if they are 10 years old. You can give copies to everyone you know.

And this is just the reasons that I know of.
    Last edited by sofasurfer; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Good reply. Thanks. While I do not plan to replace Vista now. I do plan to use Linux for future computers so I won't have to deal with DRM.

Also: http://www.crn.com/software/212701668

Beans
    Distro

DRM is a boogieman invented by fanboys -in what practical way is DRM stopping you from doing anything at all now?

Unless you're paying for content that the content provider itself chose to protect then you aren't affected by DRM.

Beans

If you can't think of a reason for yourself, you shouldn't. Use what works for you and enjoy it

Beans

You are right to stay with vista for now while you learn Linux. That is how most people do it... dual booting. I kept a winxp os around for a couple years. When you get a little comfortable with linux you will feel proud to zap windows.

Just keep it simple. Just install the system and use it just like you use vista...with GUI's. When you learn to love it you will be drawn to try the terminal(command line).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast