Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CRUX Talk

Re: CRUX Talk

Most of the software I use in Crux actually isn't hosted either in the official repos or through the community. Colin Zheng has a fantastic PKGBUILD-to-Pkgfile conversion script that simplifies the task of converting an Arch version into a Crux version.

In general, with that script you can take almost anything you want from Arch and have it compiling in Crux, in a few minutes. The most difficult part after the conversion is finding the package names that correspond for the dependencies.

So in all, anything you want from AUR or the standard Arch menu is also available in Crux. You just have to get your hands dirty.

P.S.: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/categor...ux/crux-ports/

P.P.S.: Yes, yes, I know. It's CRUX, not Crux. Sorry.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; January 25th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Just installed crux over my Gentoo partition and everything was successful except for the fact that it refuses to boot with a nice kernel panic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Just installed crux over my Gentoo partition and everything was successful except for the fact that it refuses to boot with a nice kernel panic.
    That is really not something you should complain about with regard to CRUX. It just means that you didn't configure kernel/grub correctly. CRUX doesn't do *anything* for the user when it comes to the kernel; as a user it is you who is solely responsible for providing CRUX with a working kernel that it can run on top of.

Beans

Kernel compilation is always fun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fwojciec View Post
    That is really not something you should complain about with regard to CRUX. It just means that you didn't configure kernel/grub correctly. CRUX doesn't do *anything* for the user when it comes to the kernel; as a user it is you who is solely responsible for providing CRUX with a working kernel that it can run on top of.
    I'm not complaining about crux and this isn't the first time I've compiled a kernel or configured grub . Merely stating that my first attempt at installing was unsuccessful, instead I'll have to recompile the kernel later.

I'm not complaining about crux and this isn't the first time I've compiled a kernel or configured grub . Merely stating that my first attempt at installing was unsuccessful, instead I'll have to recompile the kernel later.
    I've been there. I could swear a few times the computer was laughing at me, when it saw the kernel I built. "You want me to boot that?!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I've been there. I could swear a few times the computer was laughing at me, when it saw the kernel I built. "You want me to boot that?!"
    My problems came when I tried to set up GRUB. I hate bootloaders...

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm so glad I've never had to do that stuff for myself. Just the idea of it frightens me.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

It's really not that bad once you understand what's going on and why they work. Of course, getting to that point is the difficult part.

By the way, anybody compiled mutt out of opt (or is it contrib? I forgot)? It's ending with errors for me.

Edit: Never mind, I'll just use the one off the CD.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; January 29th, 2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Recognized the balance of effort involved in chasing an obscure compilation error versus installing a precompiled package

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123