Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CRUX Talk

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: CRUX Talk

I like CRUX. In fact, I was the one who recommended you try it.
    It is a bit too 'crude' for me to use as my everyday system. As was mentioned, it requires too much patience and user intervention when dealing with packages. Messy removal of installed ports and waiting for compilation of everything is just not my idea of the ideal system.
    The number of ports is also an issue for me; even if they doubled the ports collection in size, it would still be lacking quite a bit.
    As I have mentioned many times, I believe that package management should be an absolute 'no-brainer'- the main reason I avoid CRUX and Slack.
    I certainly like the concept- a streamlined set of core packages, and serious community contributions, (prt-get was a community innovation).
    But, Arch simply does it so much better for me; much larger repositories, much larger community, pacman and binaries in addition to a ports-like system and the AUR.
    If I was 20 years younger and still enamored by the thrill of being an 'outsider', or 'one of the few' who use an unpopular yet incredibly cool thing, I might like it even more.
    For me, CRUX does a lot of things the right way.
    Arch just does them all better, and adds more extensibility along with it, effortlessly.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MisfitI38 View Post
    I like CRUX. In fact, I was the one who recommended you try it.
    I remember. It turned out to be good advice, though I prefer Slackware and NetBSD

Beans

Announcement: The CRUX site is back up! Yay!

Thoughts (aka meaningless drivel):

I really like the CRUX documentation. The Handbook is complete yet concise. It explains everything necessary to use the system, but nothing unneeded or out of place. It offers step-by-step commands but avoids redundancy. Overall, CRUX has some of the best docs of any distro I've seen.

I also like the #crux IRC channel. Most Linux IRC channels I've seen fall into one of two categories: "my internet dosnt wrk, plz hlp" and "rtfm n00b". Most people on #crux are scrupulously competent and expect effort in return, but nonetheless welcome questions from the less experienced. It seems to have a good mix of users who a) have questions, b) want to answer questions, or c) just want to chat. #crux isn't always full (it wasn't exactly a hotbed of activity last night ), but it's a nice place to stop by.

/random thoughts of the day

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    Announcement: The CRUX site is back up! Yay!

Thoughts (aka meaningless drivel):

I really like the CRUX documentation. The Handbook is complete yet concise. It explains everything necessary to use the system, but nothing unneeded or out of place. It offers step-by-step commands but avoids redundancy. Overall, CRUX has some of the best docs of any distro I've seen.

I also like the #crux IRC channel. Most Linux IRC channels I've seen fall into one of two categories: "my internet dosnt wrk, plz hlp" and "rtfm n00b". Most people on #crux are scrupulously competent and expect effort in return, but nonetheless welcome questions from the less experienced. It seems to have a good mix of users who a) have questions, b) want to answer questions, or c) just want to chat. #crux isn't always full (it wasn't exactly a hotbed of activity last night ), but it's a nice place to stop by.

/random thoughts of the day
    Yay! I may soon be able to play with it more! (when the site crashed, I was trying to install Crux's kernel )
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Yay! I may soon be able to play with it more! (when the site crashed, I was trying to install Crux's kernel )
    Ouch

Beans

Ouch
    Luckily, I am installing CRUX in a virtual machine for the precise reason of being able to save my state. I might be able to work on it tonight, btw.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

I was thinking about the whole package-removal issue and I was wondering if it would take a lot of effort to screen installed packages against the ones that are required, and make a script of some sort that can pluck out ones that are removable as dependencies.

I have all the coding skills of a rock, but with the quickdep and listinst options for prt-get, isn't that most of the information that would be needed?
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Discuss!
    I like it? A lot?

I'm a fan of source based distributions, and I find it easier to use than Gentoo. I run it in a virtual machine though.

Beans
    Hidden!

Since the big thing here seems to be moving form Arch to CRUX, I have basically one question, split into two halves:

1a) How are the repos?

1b) Is there anything comparable to the AUR?
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    1a) How are the repos?
    The official repos are small, but there are many custom repos available. Check out the ports page.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    1b) Is there anything comparable to the AUR?
    The whole system is comparable to the AUR. CRUX is a source-based distro, and it strongly resembles the AUR in several ways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast