Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft works hard for Linux users to watch inauguration via Moonlight & Mono

Beans

Thumbs down Microsoft works hard for Linux users to watch inauguration via Moonlight & Mono

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/20/134228

This is rather nice of them. This shows that not only do they support Mono, but this is proof the Novell deal is working since Novell leads the Mono project and Microsoft is contractually required to help out.

Although, could this be a new page for Microsoft?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Microsoft works hard for Linux users to watch inauguration via Moonlight & Mono

WHOA!

Microsoft is required to contribute to Open Source Software?

Whether this is a new page for Microsoft, I don't know. Time will tell what MS does with this....
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans

Re: Microsoft works hard for Linux users to watch inauguration via Moonlight & Mono

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinbr View Post
    WHOA!

Microsoft is required to contribute to Open Source Software?

Whether this is a new page for Microsoft, I don't know. Time will tell what MS does with this....
    They are because the European Union declared them a monopoly and Microsoft doesn't want to go to court with the EU.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Talking Re: Microsoft works hard for Linux users to watch inauguration via Moonlight & Mono

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    They are because the European Union declared them a monopoly and Microsoft doesn't want to go to court with the EU.
    As a provision of the Microsoft-Novell deal, not only does it grant patent immunity to Novell, but it also requires Microsoft to contribute to open source projects.

I personally declare this a small victory for cooperation between Microsoft and the Linux community. Hopefully Microsoft will look towards licensing some major products as open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    As a provision of the Microsoft-Novell deal, not only does it grant patent immunity to Novell, but it also requires Microsoft to contribute to open source projects.

I personally declare this a small victory for cooperation between Microsoft and the Linux community. Hopefully Microsoft will look towards licensing some major products as open source.
    Yeah, if they could release the source code for the next release of Office, that would be just dandy. I know OpenOffice is good, but MS Office is better. A bit bloaty but better.
    Acer Aspire X3200, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4050e, 2.2Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8200, 4GB DDR2, 320 GB HDD
    Acer Aspire X1301, AMD Athlon II X3 425, Nvidia Geforce 9200, 3GB DDR2, 320GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Releasing the source of office would never happen. That's like their next most popular product after windows. It brings in so much money for microsoft.
    Ubuntu 10.04 Server
    -Linode 512
    Ubuntu 13.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, 250GB hdd / 250GB hdd (partitioned), Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtysixway View Post
    Releasing the source of office would never happen. That's like their next most popular product after windows. It brings in so much money for microsoft.
    I believe I was being ironic.
    Acer Aspire X3200, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4050e, 2.2Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8200, 4GB DDR2, 320 GB HDD
    Acer Aspire X1301, AMD Athlon II X3 425, Nvidia Geforce 9200, 3GB DDR2, 320GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Novell do not have patent immunity from Microsoft, nor vice versa.

Novell/MS customers do. It's an important distinction, as it still means Novell can sue MS for patent infringement (and vice versa) should they want to
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/20/134228

This is rather nice of them. This shows that not only do they support Mono, but this is proof the Novell deal is working since Novell leads the Mono project and Microsoft is contractually required to help out.

Although, could this be a new page for Microsoft?
    The MS/Novell deal is for interoperability and virtualization. Mono is not specified in there and Microsoft has not helped as much with Mono as it has with Moonlight. While Moonlight is based on Mono it isn't the same thing as Mono.

The Patent protection (or "I promise not to sue if you promise not to sue") is for customers and (individual) developers of Novell products (which is the way Mono and Moonlight developers are protected, though Mono and Moonlight themselves are not).

Honestly, I don't think MS really gives a darn about the EU calling it a Monopoly. Looks like a stuffy group trying to "stick it to the man" than anything else.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No x86_64bit Ubuntu support though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast