Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Science FAIL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Computer Science FAIL

All right, this is what happened in college today. Quoting from my blog :

This piece might come across as one intended to bad mouth my own college, but I have a sneaking suspicion that things aren’t all rosy in other parts of the country either.

I suppose every geek has had this same feeling before. You take a seat in the front row of your first Introduction to Programming lecture, all worked up about the fact that here, finally, is a class you can be on top of. The professor walks in, gives a little introduction, and you realize it’s going to be a long, long semester.

Today I decided to make a list of all the atrocities committed by my Introduction to Programming professor. I wasn’t expecting much because, even though he sounded like a complete knucklehead to the geek inside me, I was sure he at least knew the textbook inside-out. I was, as one would expect, wrong. So, hackers, get ready to cringe. Here’s my list.

* Linux is basically a DOS based OS.
    * These days we are using 128 and 256 bit processors.
    * A compiler is a software that converts code written in a particular programming language to machine code. To compile a program, you must hit ALT+F9. (It took me a while to realize he was talking about the Borland Turbo C++ IDE from 1992, a prehistoric compiler Indian colleges use for all C and C++ courses.)
    * The object code generated by a C++ compiler is almost identical to that produced by a Java compiler.
    * The first high level language was Ada, also known as Smalltalk. (This was a big WTF moment.)
    * The second high level language was COBOL, which was an improvement over Ada. (Cringe, cringe, cringe.)
    * FOTRAN came after COBOL. (No, “FOTRAN” is not a typo. This is what he said.)
    * FOTRAN, COBOL, Ada and Smalltalk were not general purpose languages.
    * This one is classic: C was the first language to run on UNIX systems. All languages before C ran only on Windows.

I still haven’t completely recovered from the shock.
    Here's the link to the post on my blog, if anybody wants to share it : http://blog.uncool.in/2009/01/19/com...tion-in-india/

Now what? Do I tell the guy he's wrong? Telling the college authorities won't help at all because my college is already short of professors and the administration wouldn't even dream of kicking one out.

EDIT: Fixed messed up formatting.
    Last edited by ankursethi; January 19th, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    I am the turnip. No, not a turnip, the turnip. Visit my blog here.

I need help with my Code Dojo. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Beans

Re: Computer Science FAIL

Wow I feel sorry for you. And even more sorry for other students who aren't aware he has no clue. Hopefully the rest of the faculty are better.

Beans

God save your soul

Beans

Wow, that's DIGUSTING.
    Well, I hope you are atleast dropping the class... or even the college!
    I would still report him. You never know. they might have a backup; atleast for next semester.
    And I wouldn't feel bad about education in India, it's not much better here in USA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I had a history professor once ask the class to go to the library and look up the population of our birth province for 1931 in the Canadian census records. I asked him what we should do for Newfoundland and he looked at me puzzled.....Newfoundland was the last province to join confederation in 1949, until then we were part of Britain. This guy was a history professor.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

And this was a CS professor???
    You seriously need to find a new college if you can...

Beans

I had a similar problem at college, I corrected my teacher when ever they said anything that was wrong, I might have held up the class, but I think people learnt more out of it.
    Licat volaré si superturgum Aquila volat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I wish I could find a new college, but that's just not possible. College education is cheap in India, so everyone wants to get a degree. The result is too many applicants for very few seats. Every college has its own selection procedure involving *shudder* "entrance exams". Getting through one of those is not easy. It was scary enough the first time, and going through it a second time will probably kill me.

Did I mention how Indian universities work? Here's how - "This is the lecture schedule for the week. If you have less than 75% attendance in any of the subject, you fail. Have a nice day."

(Not that all Universities are this bad. The problem is that all the cool ones have at least 80 to 100 applicants competing for each seat.)
    I am the turnip. No, not a turnip, the turnip. Visit my blog here.

I need help with my Code Dojo. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, just because he's an idiot doesn't mean that the class will be useless. You may not learn anything from him but you may still learn. With ANY class you take at ANY level it is far more important to know how to learn and to know how to find the answers than any material presented in class. Memorization only gets you so far.

I will agree with scragar and say that it is useful to everyone in the class to be vocal about the correct information. BUT avoid getting in to a '******* contest' with the prof' and know the difference between real mis-information and just irritating semantics.

For example his comment about 'nixes being DOS based. In the sense that they are command line Disk Operating Systems, they are DOS based. Of course they are not MS-DOS based as he failed to clarify the differences of DOS vs. MS-DOS.
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...

Beans

i predict an easy A at least

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast