Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help with this driver for Edirol UA-4FX

Beans

Re: Please help with this driver for Edirol UA-4FX

In the meantime, I've been upgrading to the Jaunty Beta. Works well. I'm still hoping that you'll get a chance to finish a script to get the midi working with the UA-4FX ( I just got another MIDI controller ( an Axiom-25) and use the UA as primary midi input). I've pretty much given up on any support for the MOTU-microlite with Ubuntu. Jaunty does support it for audio without workarounds as much as I can tell so far and looks good, but I'm just starting to play with it today. If not, I'll re-read and try to recreate method in this thread. I did see several new threads on the UA and Ubuntu Studio today however and will be looking through them this week. I haven't played with Ardour too much either, but my understanding is that its like a Audacity on steroids ( kind of like Acid/FLS in WinDoze ). Apparently, several folks have been having good success running various VST instruments through Wine as well, but I haven't gotten that far in Ubuntu. Audio first ( appears done ), Midi next ( working on it ), then the VST's and maybe some Win programs depending how well Ubuntu is working today. In the long run, it will probably all be Ubuntu but that's a while from now.
    Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for the howto! I gave up on my UA-4FX a long time ago, but when I read this, I decided to try it again.

I tried to do the patch but gave me this:
    Code:
    ruben@ruben-laptop:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver$ sudo patch -p0 < UA-4FX.diff 
    patching file sound/usb/usbaudio.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 2930.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 2950.
    2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file sound/usb/usbaudio.c.rej
    patching file sound/usb/usbquirks.h
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 1376 with fuzz 2 (offset 65 lines).
    The first part of the patch did not work. Does anybody know what to do next?

Or can anybody suggest another usb audio card, in the same price category as this one, but with working midi on ubuntu?

Beans

Ua-4fx

Hi Rackstar,

I wrote the patch. It's cool to see people finally using it. Rackstar, if you are using Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) or can upgrade to kernel 2.6.28 or newer, the patch has been included in the kernel. Woohoo!

I updated the wiki page, http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Edirol_UA-4FX, with that information. So it sounds like MIDI is working?

You should all know about the noise problem. When you switch to Advanced mode, the hardware adds noise in playback and recording, to deliberately reduce the quality. You are actually better off using the 16-bit 44kHz audio. Note that the Windows driver does not have this problem, so with some reverse engineering we could fix the linux driver.

- DHubbard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ua-4fx

Quote Originally Posted by hubbardd View Post
    Hi Rackstar,

I wrote the patch. It's cool to see people finally using it. Rackstar, if you are using Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) or can upgrade to kernel 2.6.28 or newer, the patch has been included in the kernel. Woohoo!
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply and your work!

I had tried the patch over a year ago, but gave up early because my lack of patch-knowledge. I did find it strange that the sound playback worked in advanced mode (since Jaunty) , but I did not manage to get jack running.

If someone could point a good tutorial about setting up an environment to receive midi from the midi-controller and process it to rosegarden (or ardour), please do.

I'm not at my home so I don't have the card with me, so I can't try now.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I used midi in it worked.

Used it at least with rosegarden and Puredata.

Thanks for the work!!!!!!!!!!
    Classic music and GNU/Linux are like a good red wine. At first you may not like it, but with time you will love it, and maybe you will not want anything else!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am now using 64 Studio 3.0 beta 3 which runs on 2.6.29 kernel and my UA-4fx works great.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

For those people who have posted that the UA-4FX is working...are you finding that recording (not in advanced mode) causes noise in the background? This noise was bad enough for me to basically stop using the UA-4FX in Linux and instead dual boot to Windows for recording. In Windows, there is no background noise and it sounds fine.

I am not too into midi but it's nice to hear that this is finally working for some!

Beans

As I understand the kernel with 9.10 doesn't need modifying. Yet the UA-4FX doesn't work out of the box in advanced mode.
    Could somebody explain where in this explanation I need to jump in running ubuntustudio 9.10.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123