Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Booting 8.10 and 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dual Booting 8.10 and 8.04

I always use the manual installation method. You have complete control that way.

As a side note, just before final install, click on advanced options and uncheck the box for installing GRUB. Otherwise, you will overwrite your existing GRUB. Sometimes that is not a problem and the new GRUB will find your other operating systems and install them. But I have had it to create problems before. I prefer to keep the existing GRUB and add the new installation to the existing menu.lst file.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by UltraAnders View Post
    [*] Manual
    • Again, great, except the "After" shows 100% HDD allocated to 8.10
    [/LIST]
    so you mean to say that you cannot manually specify it to format just the unallocated space as ext3 logical partition at mountpoint '/'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Absolutely! Look:

Attachment 100301

I have Win XP multi-booted with Ubuntu 8.04.1, Ubuntu 8.10, and Linux Mint 6. All three Linux OS's share the same SWAP.

Just do not reformat the SWAP or you'll end up with a UUID problem. But even if you do end up with a UUID problem it's fast and simple to fix! (You'll know you have a UUID problem if Usplash quits and is replaced by a long line of boot-text!)
    Why in the world do you have the same distro installed three times? I just hope that, at least, you have a shared home partition XD

The problems with UUID are easily fix by just using the device name instead.

-------------------

Quote Originally Posted by UltraAnders View Post
    So I pretty much fell at the first hurdle. My partitions are setup as I want them. However none of the options presented allow me to actually select the 20GB partition I had created. So, I delete the empty partition I created, in the hope that Ubuntu would decide to offer to create a partition in this space.

Now I have 4 options:
    • Guided - resize SCSI3 (0,0,0), partition #7 (sda) and use free space
      • This appears to resize my largest partition, then use the space to install Ubuntu. It still leaves the 20GB free!
    • Guided - use entire disk
      • No thanks!
    • Guided - use the largest continous free space
      • This is the option I want. However, the "After" shot shows 100% of the HDD allocated to 8.10, hmm.
    • Manual
      • Again, great, except the "After" shows 100% HDD allocated to 8.10

I'm too scared to go beyond this point with either options 3 or 4, because first time I installed Ubuntu I managed to delete all my partitions by doing just one click too many!
    Just use Manual (clicking next doesn't do anything, it's just take you to the partitioner tool), make a space wherever you want and format it. I would recommend you to use a shared home folder, but if you don't want to mess like that, just make space for 8.10 as I said and set it's mount point as "/", next, next, finish.

Advantages of separated home partition:

• No more pain, you won't have to worry about losing data when you install a new version of Ubuntu ever again, or any other distro.
    • You won't lose your personal settings
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; January 20th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ah thanks, so I'm just being over cautious (stupid) Showing the "After" with 100% of HDD allocated to 8.10 is misleading.

8.04's home directory is stored on the largest partition, as will 8.10's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12