Thread: Can not resize remote desktop

Beans

Can not resize remote desktop

Greetings to the amazing ubuntu community. I'm very new to Ubuntu (installed it only yesterday) and would like some help with an issue I'm facing. I just made a shortcut on my panel for opening rdesktop (it connects to a Win2k pc that I use at work) but for some reason I can not resize the window. It appears on a 800x600 (or similar low res) window and does not even have the little button with the square for me to make it full screen. What can I do to make it bigger?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Can not resize remote desktop

There are some options in display tab that you can change to get resolution you desire. Before connecting!
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans

thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I'm not sure which display tab you're referring to. The way I run it is via a shortcut which has the command 'rdesktop server.name.goeshere'. The only solution that I found was adding the line -f after the command in order to make it full screen. However, I'm not sure how to go back to non-full screen mode if I do it that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I dont know about shortcut thingy.. sorry, but if you goto menu>internet>terminal services client, Thats how I connect to rdp windows, you get a place to enter info and then customize the connection. the first tab take info about the other terminal, the display tab lets you configure the resolution.

If you have a shortcut, you better paste it here. (remove personal info)
    Ubuntu rocks!!Now go ahead thank me
    Lenovo 3000 Y410 Ubuntu Interpid / (never) Vista
    Intel GM965/GL960 | 82801H (ICH8 Family) HDA | Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode) | Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alextz View Post
    thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I'm not sure which display tab you're referring to. The way I run it is via a shortcut which has the command 'rdesktop server.name.goeshere'. The only solution that I found was adding the line -f after the command in order to make it full screen. However, I'm not sure how to go back to non-full screen mode if I do it that way.
    Hey, so the "-g" option may be what you're looking for, it may be used to define the geometry of the window WRT a percentage of your current window i.e. "-g 90%".

Beans

In Terminal Services client on Ubuntu, you get out of full screen by pressing Control+Alt+Enter.

-Kirk

Beans

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. meUser's suggestion did the trick for me. The command is now "rdesktop ****.******.** -f -g 70%" and it works perfectly.

Problem solved.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can not resize remote desktop

this may help you

-g 'geometry'
    -f 'full'

i usually use a line like so:

'rdesktop -g 1024x860 -u <username> -p '<password>' host.domain

or as mentioned previously you can use a percentage of your desktop with the -g switch

rdesktop -f 1024x768

This will work in statically setting the resolution how you want, Im not aware of any switch that makes the desktop resizable, as well AFAIK you exit full screen mode by leaving that rdp session (logging of rdp|shutting down host from rdp). These parameters are set in the call to rdp so rdp knows how to draw the window.

Best
    Rain

Beans

try rdesktop -f IP_addressort

or

rdesktop -g1200x700 IP

from your terminal

BR
    PSARKAR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.