in Ubuntu 8.10 I would like to enable "column mode". Column mode is selection of block inside each row. This is one of the best features in UltraEdit I have used on Windows XP (see attachment).
How to enable "column mode" in Gedit?
As I looked to the all settings from menus this settings is not available by default.
1. I looked for plugins and found the following plugin web page http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins/ColumnMode
2. I have downloaded columnmode-0.1.1.tar.gz (also tried with columnmode.tar.gz file)
3. Untar the file: tar zxvf columnmode-0.1.1.tar.gz
4. Copy two untared files to ~/.gnome2/gedit/plugins/ directory
5. Start gedit program
6. Edit | Preferences | Plugins and check Column Mode checkbox
7. Now in Edit menu "Column Mode" option is available. So I checked this option and try using column mode by pressing keys <Shift>+<Up> or <Shift>+<Down> or using mouse. None of the features works.
Any idea how to enable column mode in Gedit? If not, do you know for any other text editor in Ubuntu that can edit text via column mode feature? I tried UltraEdit in Wine, but it just works too slow to be useful.