Thread: Installation on IBM T30 Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Installation on IBM T30 Laptop

My IBM T30 laptop will not install any free Linux distro. It won't run the live disks for Debian, Back Track, Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix, or Simply Mepis. It will launch Slackware 8 but I wanted a more complete install for my son. I've only tried to install from Live CD and DVDs. I've reformatted the HD, I've tried with XP loaded and not loaded. I just can't get it to load the kernel for most distros. I get a coded read error when I stry. "Couldn't read data at sector..." or similar type message. I've tried both Hardy and Intrepid with no luck. I've tested the CD/DVD reader. It appears fine. No problem installing WinXP or 2000 or 98 even from install CDs. AND, there's always the fact that Slackware runs as a live CD just fine. In addition, I can backup WinXP on the T30 with PING without a hitch. So the Linux kernel will actually run on the system.

Any ideas???

Is there something I can do to get around this? Is there an alternative (other than live CD/DVD) installation method?

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Installation on IBM T30 Laptop

You could try installing from an USB stick.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

I'm writing this from a T30 running Arch and I've never had any hardware issues with it. I hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installation on IBM T30 Laptop

Thanks for the tip. I don't use a USB stick but could get one. I tried floppy disks and that failed too. I eventually created a Live Win XP disk with UNetBootIN on it and was able to get a great installation of Debian from them. My son is happy, I have less administration headaches, and it's faster. From what I understand, UNetBootIn does not work that well from Linux live disks. I didn't bother argueing so I have no first hand info.