Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    636

    Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Hi,
    I installed "Avant Window Navigator" from Application | Add/Remove. This software is really cool, but it doesn't work as it should on my PC. But on my PC main menu on left top of the window freezes - click on it does not display menu - when "Avant Window Navigator" is installed. Probably nVidia graphic driver problem. I have some other problems using compiz. So I decided to uninstall it but I was surprised I got error that uninstall via Application | Add/Remove is not possible because "other" software is dependent on Avant Windows Navigator packages and I should uninstall it using System | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager. Why??? I installed the software, tested it and I would like to remove it. I haven't installed any other software in the mean time that could be dependent on Avant Window Navigator. And if Ubuntu knows there are dependences why not remove only unneeded packages? How can I know which package is save to delete from Synaptic if Ubuntu can't?

    Don't quite understand logic behind this remove software policy. Can someone explain me why is this default remove application behaviour?

    Regards
    Last edited by abcuser; January 17th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Beans
    158
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    Hi,
    I installed "Avant Window Navigator" from Application | Add/Remove. This software is really cool, but it doesn't work as it should on my PC. But on my PC main menu on left top of the window freezes - click on it does not display menu - when "Avant Window Navigator" is installed. So I decided to uninstall it but I was surprised I got error that uninstall via Application | Add/Remove is not possible because "other" software is dependent on Avant Windows Navigator packages and I should uninstall it using System | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager. Why??? I installed the software, tested it and I would like to remove it. I haven't installed any other software in the mean time that could be dependent on Avant Window Navigator. And if Ubuntu knows there are dependences why not remove only unneeded packages? How can I know which package is save to delete from Synaptic if Ubuntu can't?

    Don't quite understand logic behind this remove software policy. Can someone explain me why is this default remove application behaviour?

    Regards
    I just experienced the same thing attempting to remove an mp3 player. I don't know the reason, but I agree with your point.

    Add/Remove Programs is sorta like Synaptic Package Manager Lite.

    My assumption (yes, I know what happens when you assume) is that Synaptic handles packages more thoroughly, and checks dependencies.

    Unfortunately, we either cave in or tilt at windmills like Don Quixote. Or... you can post it as a bug on Launchpad and see what they say.
    Last edited by skern03; January 17th, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Forever newbie

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    636

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    @skern03, sure I have checked Synaptic and in Search window I have written "avant window navigator" search string. There are 13 packages shown up. If I want to make system as clean as possible which package should I uninstall?

    If I understand correctly when installing new program there can be an upgrade of other packages already installed on system. So when uninstalling program, all packages can't be removed.

    I think the behavour in Add/Remove when remove is executed on program should be:
    1. uninstall any package that can be safely removed
    2. leave any package that is dependent on some other software
    3. when (or if) other the last program that is dependent on particular packages is uninstalled then all packages can be safe to remove.
    Last edited by abcuser; January 17th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    636

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by skern03 View Post
    you can post it as a bug on Launchpad
    I tried to register Launchpad, so I entered e-mail address, and Launchpad return info that e-mail was sent to confirm registration. But there is no new mail in my inbox.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    hyderabad
    Beans
    138
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    You have to use compiz or compiz-fusion for awn to work..So it might be showing shows it as a dependency.Its the other way round..(Backup ur compiz deb files from /var/apt/cache/archivesincase of a complete removal) and reinstall compiz fusion after uninstalling AWN
    You can Follow Me Here and My Blog Here

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Beans
    158
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    @skern03, sure I have checked Synaptic and in Search window I have written "avant window navigator" search string. There are 13 packages shown up. If I want to make system as clean as possible which package should I uninstall?
    You should locate the actual entry named Avant Window Navigator, and right-click on the entry. Select Mark for complete removal. It will then scan for dependencies and when it deletes the app, it will also delete config files.
    Forever newbie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    636

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Hi,
    "avant window navigator" or "Avant Window Navigator" is equal Synaptic is not case sensitive.

    What I am afraid is when this string is written in Synaptic it also marks brltty package which in descriptions is written: "Access software for a blind person using a braille display". There are also other that looks they have nothing in common with AWN.

    Regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    636

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by kranny View Post
    You have to use compiz or compiz-fusion for awn to work..[B]
    Yes I know that. I have turn on Sytem | Preferences | Appearance | Visual Effects | Normal (Extra is not working at all). But it looks other thinks on my PC are not working as well, for example Compiz turned on: openOffice menus not displayed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    5,096

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    Hi,
    "avant window navigator" or "Avant Window Navigator" is equal Synaptic is not case sensitive.

    What I am afraid is when this string is written in Synaptic it also marks brltty package which in descriptions is written: "Access software for a blind person using a braille display". There are also other that looks they have nothing in common with AWN.

    Regards
    Can you uninstall awn then reinstall the packages that it removes?
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    Beans
    158
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Can't uninstall software installed by Add/Remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by abcuser View Post
    Hi,
    "avant window navigator" or "Avant Window Navigator" is equal Synaptic is not case sensitive.

    What I am afraid is when this string is written in Synaptic it also marks brltty package which in descriptions is written: "Access software for a blind person using a braille display". There are also other that looks they have nothing in common with AWN.

    Regards
    The package manager is smart enough to know which packages are dependent upon AWN.

    I've attached an image that shows the package you need to uninstall. Its name is: avant-window-navigator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Forever newbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •