Thread: Ubuntu Newbie

Beans

Ubuntu Newbie

I'm about to install Linux for the first time on a laptop after I've ordered a new desktop. This laptop is kind of dispensable and I've never tried Linux in the many years I've been using a PC, so I figure it's about that time! After looking into things, I've decided that Ubuntu is my best choice.

Currently I'm on an XP system that is loaded with stuff. When my live CD comes in, it gives me the option to completely partition/reformat my system so that everything is removed off of it prior to installing Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CSS View Post
    Currently I'm on an XP system that is loaded with stuff. When my live CD comes in, it gives me the option to completely partition/reformat my system so that everything is removed off of it prior to installing Ubuntu?
    If that is a question - then Yes it does.

If you are planning on keeping the laptop yourself, there is presumably no reason to securely erase the HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you might want to try booting off the live CD and playing with that for a while to see if you like it, and to see if your laptop's hardware likes it as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

not sure what the question is. dont forget to back up, especially if you are planning to install ubuntu on the entire hard drive. (of course, if it's a fresh desktop then there's nothing to back up).

Beans

The question was does the live CD give the option to completely partition/reformat the computer before installation, or does that need to be done prior to using the CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The live CD does it all for you... why don't you just download and burn it?
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, please use descriptive topic titles. Almost everyone in here has a problem of some sort, so "Ubuntu Newbie" does not tell anything.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CSS View Post
    The question was does the live CD give the option to completely partition/reformat the computer before installation, or does that need to be done prior to using the CD?
    As stated before - Yes it does. You don't need to do anything in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Also, on what are you basing your decision of which Linux to try?

I would suggest trying a few LiveCDs first, e.g. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, PC/OS, Pardus, OpenSUSE, before you make your final decision.

You can get a rough idea of which one you like the best before committing it to your hard drive.